[comp.sys.amiga] ATONce

robertz@pro-ice.cts.com (Robert Zajac Jr.) (12/28/90)

Does anyone have it yet?  Also, does anyone know what the following emulation
modes for the IBM are:  Olivetti and Toshiba3100.  Does any software companies
support these?  And finally, does it run just as fast as an IBM PC/AT?  Any
feedback would be appreciated.

tinyguy@cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) (12/29/90)

In article <6567@crash.cts.com> robertz@pro-ice.cts.com (Robert Zajac Jr.) writes:
>Does anyone have it yet?  Also, does anyone know what the following emulation
>modes for the IBM are:  Olivetti and Toshiba3100.  Does any software companies
>support these?  And finally, does it run just as fast as an IBM PC/AT?  Any
>feedback would be appreciated.

I phoned MG about ATonce and they told me that it would only work with
A500, for now. The price was $400US. What's bothering me here is why doesn't
it work with A2000 if it uses 68000 socket? Also, I wouldn't bet my life
on MG's claim so if someout out there knows more accurate stories, I'd appreciate
if you could let me know.
Thanks!

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/29/90)

I've seen it run at a dealer; it ran the commercial MONOPOLY in CGA mode
at what appeared to be full speed. That's all I can tell you...
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

dave@exactus.UUCP (Dave) (12/31/90)

tinyguy@cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) writes:

> I phoned MG about ATonce and they told me that it would only work with
> A500, for now. The price was $400US. What's bothering me here is why doesn't
> it work with A2000 if it uses 68000 socket? Also, I wouldn't bet my life
> on MG's claim so if someout out there knows more accurate stories, I'd apprec
> if you could let me know.
> Thanks!

I have asked myself the same question, but I have no idea why it does not
work with the 2000... In any event, I have a friend that uses it on an A500,
and according to him, it works just fine. From what I understand, it also
emulated CGA mode, but it seems to have a lot of problems when it comes
to graphical application. It can coexist with the Amiga as well, although
it is not as stable as when runing exclusively. It is not a bad deal
considering that it is pretty much the same thing that the AT bridboard
does on the 2000, but for a lot less money. On the other hand, a 286 at
12 MHZ motherboard sells for a little less than $150 nowdays, a 386sx for
less than $350. It is a much safer bet to buy the real thing, specially
when the cost is not much higher even after buying the other peripherals
needed to complete it. Besides, a PC is only useful in the 386 platform.
Windows 3.0 works JUST fine, and whether it is a TRUE multitasker or not
is quite irrelevant to the end user, as long as it allows multiple
applications to run at the same time. If anything, the clipboard WORKS!

Please, do not flame me for saying whatever you didn't like to hear.

Dave

+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| David Salas                           | Exactus   : David Salas         |
| President                             | Genie     : EXAC-DAVE           |
| Exactus Information Services          | UUCP      : exactus!dave        |
| (707) 524-2548 @ 2400 (8N1)           | Fax       : (707) 524-2546      |
| (707) 524-2553 @ 9600/1400 (V32/HST)  | Voice     : (707) 524-2547      |
+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan11.193935.11071@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, Darin D Sheriff writes:

> To keep it short and sweet.  I have heard about the ATonce and I WANT ONE!
> BUT: Is there any reason why it should not work on an A1000.  Has any
> adventurous and curious types tried this.  This A1000 owner wants to know!!
> Thanks for any info on the subject.
> --
The German manufactuer of Atonce has said that they only support the the
current version for the A500.  However, the US distributor, has said that
it does work in both the A2000 and A1000.  However, the Atonce comes with a
card that plugs into your 68000 socket, and a card that goes between the
Gary chip and its socket, the card in the Gary socket allows Atonce you use
the Amigas custom graphics for the IBM screens, thereby increasing the
re-draw speed.  The Atonce will work without the Gary chip, as you will
have to do in your A1000, but you won't have the same re-draw speeds as a
A500 or A2000 user.

As a side note, the distributor also told me there will soon be an
inexpensive A2000 adaptor, which will allow the Atonce to use the IBM slots
in the A2000.

For more info, try:

Ashley E. Miller
Account Executive, Talon Technology Inc (Distributors of Atonce)
243 N. Highway 101 STE 11
Solana Beach  CA
92075  USA
619-792-6511 (voice)
619-792-9023 (fax)

GoodLuck,
-Jason-

Jason Goldberg				UUCP: ucsd!serene!cbmami!jason
Del Mar, CA

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (01/13/91)

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) writes:
> Tell me about the Atonce..

Well I say one today... I was not impressed...

Speed was 70% a normal "IBM" (For lack of a better word)
It is supposed to use Amiga hard drives, (A big +) and
have EGA/Hercules Graphics..

It looked Ok, But i still think the Bridgecard is better..

I don't know about the Price's tho...

How much more Expensive would a "Expander" for the 500 and a Bridgecard?
(Seems like a better way to go)
.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

ede879g@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Robert D. Nicholson) (06/29/91)

Has anybody had any experience with the ATOnce AT Emulator with
the amiga 500.

johnh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (John J Humpal) (06/29/91)

The latest issue of Amazing Computing (V6,no.7,July 1991) reviews
ATonce. The reviewer liked it a lot.

John J. Humpal -- johnh@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu -- short .sig, std. disclaimer