[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Custom Chips and others

rayhann@ee.mu.OZ.AU (rayhann chee) (06/25/91)

Just want to enquire how does one know if the Agnes in the A500
is the latest version? ( I have an A500 rev 6 motherboard. )
Also is the new Kickstart Roms(2.0) if available suitable for the
rev6 motherboard?( As in pin compatible..etc.)
Thanks in advance.

rayhann

The standard disclaimer goes here somewhere about my opinions being mine alone
and no one else's and that most thigs said should be taken with a pinch of salt
or whatever is handy at the moment....
email:		rayhann@munagin.ee.mu.oz.au
		rayhann@moroka3.ecr.mu.zo.au

phils@ampun.UUCP (Philip Sokolowski) (06/26/91)

In article <9117613.21405@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU> rayhann@ee.mu.OZ.AU (rayhann chee) writes:
>Just want to enquire how does one know if the Agnes in the A500
>is the latest version? ( I have an A500 rev 6 motherboard. )
>Also is the new Kickstart Roms(2.0) if available suitable for the
>rev6 motherboard?( As in pin compatible..etc.)
>Thanks in advance.
>
>rayhann

	I'm not to sure about the compatibility of 2.0 on your rev6
motherboard, but my guess would be that it would work, and if not, you could
get an upgrade through Commodore to get yourself a newer version. (I think) but
as for the Agnus chip, You could probably download a program from one of the
BBS's in your area a file that will check your chips and tel you what kind
they are.. I have one here called "Check4Agnus" I believe, and you just run it
and it tells you what kind of Agnus chip you have, be it Fat, Fatter, or Super
Fat.. It turns out I have just a Fat.. Look for a program like this in your
area..
--
Philip Sokolowski                                  (__)   Moooooo
31700 Lexington Hgts.                              (oo) /

lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) (06/28/91)

In article <9117613.21405@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU> rayhann@ee.mu.OZ.AU (rayhann chee) writes:
| Just want to enquire how does one know if the Agnes in the A500
| is the latest version? ( I have an A500 rev 6 motherboard. )

Go into your CLI and type Avail if the listed amount of Chip Ram is
greater than 512K then you have the newer 1 Meg Chip Ram Agnus.

| Also is the new Kickstart Roms(2.0) if available suitable for the
| rev6 motherboard?( As in pin compatible..etc.)
| Thanks in advance.

They aren't available yet, but they should be pin compatable with all
A500s.

| rayhann

Laurana
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|Just another lemming...        | Yet another Amiga maniac set loose   |

s8922967@ipc04.mqcs.mq.oz.au (Murray John GILBERT) (06/29/91)

In article <7574@vela.acs.oakland.edu> lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) writes:
>In article <9117613.21405@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU> rayhann@ee.mu.OZ.AU (rayhann chee) writes:
>| Just want to enquire how does one know if the Agnes in the A500
>| is the latest version? ( I have an A500 rev 6 motherboard. )
>
>Go into your CLI and type Avail if the listed amount of Chip Ram is
>greater than 512K then you have the newer 1 Meg Chip Ram Agnus.

That is not necessarily the whole story. I have a 500 with 8372a Angus
but because I haven't changed the appropriate jumpers yet, my ami still
thinks its got 0.5 meg chip, 0.5 meg fast. (I suppose I had better get
around to changing, at least when I get more memory above the current
one meg - I've had my ami with 1meg for 2 years now! rev6a too).
To be sure which Agnus you have I recommend you either
 1. open up your 500 and have a look inside (you'll have to sooner
    or later to put 2.0roms in.
 2. use a program like Jon Potter's (at least I assume its his)
    SysInfo program (which was on megadisc 19 or 20 I think) and
    also should be around for ftping.
BTW which jumper do I change for 1meg chip - I cannot remember which
or where to look in my chaotic disk and magazine collection.

Also, and I've asked this before, is it true that you can put an 8372b
Agnus in a rev6a A500, with appropriate memory for 2Meg chip. Can some
one confirm or refute (and supply some backing evidence/more info)

Cya,
	Murray

Murray Gilbert   s8922967@mackay.mqcs.mq.oz.au

PS. to Paul Gittings at Telectronics Pacing Systems (lane cove)
    I did get any info last time so I am trying this question again
    if any info I let ya know.

s8922967@ipc04.mqcs.mq.oz.au (Murray John GILBERT) (06/29/91)

about the PS on the end of my article (to Paul G :that should have said
"didn't get any info". sorry
Murray

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (06/29/91)

In article <7574@vela.acs.oakland.edu> lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) writes:
>In article <9117613.21405@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU> rayhann@ee.mu.OZ.AU (rayhann chee) writes:
>| Just want to enquire how does one know if the Agnes in the A500
>| is the latest version? ( I have an A500 rev 6 motherboard. )
>
>Go into your CLI and type Avail if the listed amount of Chip Ram is
>greater than 512K then you have the newer 1 Meg Chip Ram Agnus.

 If you buy an Amiga 500 with the new 8372A Agnus (1meg CHIP memory) it will
most likely be configured for 512K CHIP/512K FAST. Adding an A501 (or
equivalent) will bring the Amiga 500 up to one meg but before that you only
have 512K so Commodore would disable the one meg CHIP feature.

 Bottom line. You can have the latest version, i.e. 1meg CHIP, Agnus but still
only show 512K of CHIP memory. The one feature that the 8372A Agnus has that
the old 8370 (NTSC) and 8371 (PAL) Agnus did not have was the ability to switch
between NTSC and PAL resolutions. There are many PD programs that will switch
between NTSC/PAL on the 8372A. If you run one of these programs and nothing
happens... you have the old Agnus. If it switches resolution then you have the
new Agnus. If you want one of these programs to test tell me and I'll uuencode
a version that I wrote.

>| rayhann
>
>Laurana
>--
>|Just another lemming...        | Yet another Amiga maniac set loose   |
>|                               | on the world...and you thought things|
>|lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu  | couldn't get any worse.              |

--
Darrell Grainger % Comspec Communications Inc., Toronto, Ontario, Canada
darrell@comspec  % Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own.