[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Writing directly to screen memory

davido@lucifer.UUCP (David Ornstein) (11/05/86)

In article <442@uwmacc.UUCP>, curtis@uwmacc.UUCP writes:
> I have been perusing through some assembler code written who knows where,
> and I noticed that when a particular routine writes to screen memory,
> it first reads the video controller scan status and makes sure it is
> low, then after it goes low it waits until it goes high before writing
> to the screen buffer in memory.  The associated comment remarks that
> it must go high before it is safe to write directly to screen buffer
> memory.

The code here is checking to make sure that the CRT is doing a retrace so that
no snow will be created on the screen during update.  If you write directly
to screen memory on the IBM CGA (Color Graphics Adaptor) during a non-retrace
period, you get snow.

david

{seismo!ihnp4}!mirror!lucifer!davido

(David Ornstein @ Lucifer @ The Ninth Plane - voice: 617-655-9191)