[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Using the EGA card and a monochrome monitor

reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) (11/10/86)

[]

Does anyone know how, if at all, I can do graphics in monochrome
with an EGA card?  So far, I have followed the hardware manual for
the card.  I set the switches and jumper to say that I have a
monocrhome monitor connected to the card.  Now the card emulates
the monochrome card.  I did not get an EGA card to do this.  It can
be done, can't it?

I will thank you after I get info, rather than in advance, like
everyone else :-).

Tom Reingold -- Rockefeller Univ, 1230 York Av, NY 10021; (212) 570-7709
UUCP:       {seismo|philabs|phri|harvard|ihnp4}!cmcl2!rna!rocky2!reintom
ARPANET: reintom@rockefeller.arpa <<<<<<<->>>>>> BITNET: REINTOM@ROCKVAX

perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) (11/10/86)

> Does anyone know how, if at all, I can do graphics in monochrome
> with an EGA card?
>
> Tom Reingold

To my knowledge, IBM has never provided any type of monochrome graphics
standard.  This leaves Hercules graphics.  Many (most) EGA cards do
Hercules graphics.  IBM's EGA, of course, does not.

The era of monochrome monitors is passing rapidly.  I suggest you
invest in a good color monitor, such as NEC's MultiSync or Sony's
MultiScan.
--
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!perkins        --Henry Perkins

It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.

timothym@tekigm2.UUCP (Timothy D Margeson) (11/11/86)

In article <895@bnrmtv.UUCP> perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) writes:
>> Does anyone know how, if at all, I can do graphics in monochrome
>> with an EGA card?
>> Tom Reingold
>To my knowledge, IBM has never provided any type of monochrome graphics
>standard.  This leaves Hercules graphics.  Many (most) EGA cards do
>Hercules graphics.  IBM's EGA, of course, does not.
>The era of monochrome monitors is passing rapidly.  I suggest you
>invest in a good color monitor, such as NEC's MultiSync or Sony's
>MultiScan.
>{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!perkins        --Henry Perkins

I have seen data sheets on a board from ATI of their EGA Wonder board. This
board will support EGA, CGA, MDA, and Hercules on ANY type of monitor, and
do autoswitching between modes too.

Which means that you can display EGA stuff on a CGA monitor, or Monochrome
monitor, or an EGA monitor.

You tell the card which monitor you have, the card then converts the video
so that the sync rate is compatible with your monitor. I believe that they
interlace the CGA monitor to give you EGA capability (this implies lots of
flicker).

Anyway, you can run an EGA monitor, and do Hercules emulation at the same
time. Or a CGA monitor and EGA emulation. Or a monchrome monitor and CGA,
EGA, or Hercules emulation. Then if you run different programs that use
say an EGA, the card sets up and emulates EGA, then the next program is
set up for a Hercules, the card adjusts automatically and emulates the Herc.
(without you having to do anything).

I plan on buying one as soon as they're available, which I'm told by ATI
is December. My use is with a Compaq Deskpro, and it's monchrome monitor.
The folks at ATI say it will work fine, so I'm going to try. (Compaq has
a display board that emulates a MDA and CGA using the same monitor, and
this combination has spoiled me for most anything, so when I saw the ATI
ads, I rushed to the phone and had them send data sheets).

The phone numbers I have are FA Components, a regional distributor for
ATI (800) 321-6012, or ATI themselves at (416) 477-8804. Give them a call
and tell them that you want this board now! If enough of us do it, they
might just listen.

By the way, this card is one up on the Paradise Autoswitch because you
are not limited by the monitor connected to your system. (With the Para-
dise, if you have a monochrome monitor, all you can do is Hercules, or
MDA emulation, likewise, if all you have is a CGA monitor, you're locked
into CGA mode only).

Good luck all, and ring the phones off the hook!

p.s. I have tried the Multi-sync by NEC (model 1402-jp?) and found it to
be less than acceptable (of course I work for Tek, and I know the difference
between good and bad graphics). The NEC had some real problems when they
started their manufacturing line. The quality of CRT's they used suffered,
and had a very noticable astigmatism in the lower portions of the display
any time the beam intensity was set high. I talked to NEC reps at a show
in Chicago and they played ignorance (even though the monitor on their
desk showed the symptoms I described). I might add that I saw about 75 of
the NEC monitors at the show, and at least 50 of them had this problem.

I haven't seen the Sony monitor yet, and it could well be made well enough
to meet my needs, but only a reasonable test period will tell. But if they
make the monitor as well as their TV's, I will probably buy one. AND KEEP
IT (not like the NEC(s) I bought and returned).

Thanks for the ears....

--
Tim Margeson (206)253-5240
PO Box 3500  d/s C1-937                          @@   'Who said that?'

zhahai@gaia.UUCP (Zhahai Stewart) (11/12/86)

In article <279@rocky2.UUCP>, reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) writes:
> Does anyone know how, if at all, I can do graphics in monochrome
> with an EGA card?
Yes, the EGA will support graphics on a TTL monochrome monitor, such as the
IBM Monochrome Display, the Amdek 310A, Princeton MAX 12, etc.  The new
BIOS extension on board the EGA supports 640x350x3 brightness levels as
video mode F (hex).

Unfortunately, before the EGA came out, Hercules had already established
a defacto monochrome graphics "standard", emulated by many other vendors.
This provides 720x348x2 levels, and is totally incompatible with the EGA
in address, bit mapping, etc.  This "standard" is much more widely supported
than IBM EGA monochrome.  So if you have or are considering a package with
"monochrome graphics" features, be very careful to check that it supports
EGA monochrome mode.

Also, some packages (applications or graphics libraries) may support the
EGA, but only in color modes (color is pretty popular nowadays, since the
EGA provides similar resolution in color or monochrome).  Check.

Last warning: Some people connect a CGA (color Graphics Adapter) or clone
to a single color monitor, usually via composite video (RCA plug rather
than DB-9 connector) [ Exception for Princeton Graphics MAX-12E which can
connect with CGA in TTL/DB-9 mode monochrome. ].  This allows 640x200x2
graphics (or 320x200), but is totally incompatible with either of the
above monochrome modes (EGA or Hercules).  This appears to be color graphics
to the software level.  This is seldom done with the EGA, since it does not
have composite video outputs (besides, why use an EGA with a low resolution
monitor - waste of money).

Hope this helps.           zhahai   /   HiSystems

bright@dataio.UUCP (Walter Bright) (11/12/86)

In article <895@bnrmtv.UUCP> perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) writes:
>> Does anyone know how, if at all, I can do graphics in monochrome
>> with an EGA card?
>To my knowledge, IBM has never provided any type of monochrome graphics
>standard.  This leaves Hercules graphics.  Many (most) EGA cards do
>Hercules graphics.  IBM's EGA, of course, does not.

All EGA boards (including IBM's) support graphics on a monochrome
display. It is mode F. It offers 4 colors (black, white, intensity
and blinking). I use it, it looks nice.

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (11/14/86)

>From: perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins)
>The era of monochrome monitors is passing rapidly.  I suggest you
>invest in a good color monitor, such as NEC's MultiSync or Sony's
>MultiScan.

	I think you overstate the case. A decent monchrome system
	always costs a lot less than a decent color system. For
	example a Hercules clone card and a monchrome monitor go
	for less than $200, while you would be hard put to find
	a decent EGA card and monitor for less than $600. Yet the
	monochrome system is better for most applications than the
	color one, because of the higher resolution. For most applications
	higher resolution and lower cost are more important than
	color. I find it significant that a standard for monochrome
	graphics managed to get established without the support of
	IBM. Also notice that the new EGA chip from Chips and
	Technology includes support for the Hercules standard.

	In fact I think we are going to see a resurgence of monochrome
	monitors for applications requiring very high resolutions,
	such as, desktop publishing and CAD. Displays like the
	Viking 1 and WY-700 are going to find a good market for these
	applications.
--
     Joel Upchurch @ CONCURRENT Computer Corporation (A Perkin-Elmer Company)
     Southern Development Center