[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Compaq 386

chamoun@lownlab.UUCP (Nassib Chamoun) (11/13/86)

The Compaq 386 looks very good on paper.  Has anyone had any hands-on
experience with it?  I'm interested in using it for an engineering application
involving A/D conversion and a lot of mathematical processing (Fourier
transformations, etc.).  Specific questions:

1. Have you had any problems with peripheral devices such as A/D boards
keeping up with the 16 MHz cpu?

2. How about application programs such as Lotus running at 16 MHz. Does it
freak out?

3.  Any comments regarding the keyboard or other physical aspects of the
machine?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
--

NAME:	Nassib G. Chamoun                USPS:   Lown Cardiovascular Laboratory
USENET:	...!harvard!lownlab!chamoun              Harvard School of Public Health

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (11/15/86)

> The Compaq 386 looks very good on paper.  Has anyone had any hands-on
> experience with it?  I'm interested in using it for an engineering application
> involving A/D conversion and a lot of mathematical processing (Fourier
> transformations, etc.).  Specific questions:
>
> 1. Have you had any problems with peripheral devices such as A/D boards
> keeping up with the 16 MHz cpu?

Haven't tried A/D boards with it yet.

> 2. How about application programs such as Lotus running at 16 MHz. Does it
> freak out?

Works perfectly.  Works fast beyond belief.  Our General Manager brought one
of his spreadsheets over to load it into the Compaq 386.  It took 2 minutes
to load on his XT.  It took 5.75 seconds on the 386.

We have been running a very large (400K) application written in C on XT and
AT.  It worked perfectly on the 386, with one slight difference in the EGA
43-line mode.  (May not be the Compaq's problem -- we are still studying
other possible causes.)

> 3.  Any comments regarding the keyboard or other physical aspects of the
> machine?

Get the Deskpro 286 keyboard for it.  (It's a "negative cost" option, I
believe.)  The 386 keyboard is very hard to use with control characters
because the Ctrl key is in an awkward place.

> Any information will be greatly appreciated.
>
> NAME:	Nassib G. Chamoun                USPS:   Lown Cardiovascular Laboratory

Clayton E. Cramer

madd@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (Jim Frost) (11/16/86)

In article <189@lownlab.UUCP> chamoun@lownlab.UUCP (Nassib Chamoun) writes:
>The Compaq 386 looks very good on paper.  Has anyone had any hands-on
>experience with it?
>[deleted text]
>
>1. Have you had any problems with peripheral devices such as A/D boards
>keeping up with the 16 MHz cpu?

While I have no personal experience with the 386, there is an article in the
November 1986 _Byte_ on it.  They say that the 386 slows down to 8mhz when
it plays with cards and periferals.  This way it is compatible with just
about everything.

>2. How about application programs such as Lotus running at 16 MHz. Does it
>freak out?

It's not supposed to, but even if it does, Compaq gives an extended version
of MODE that allows you to change the processor speed to slow it down
for programs that need it.

>3.  Any comments regarding the keyboard or other physical aspects of the
>machine?

There are two versions of the keyboard.  One is IBM-like and one is the
Compaq layout.  I'd recommend the Compaq layout because the IBM layout
is far from fantastic.

>Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Hope this helps.  Much better information in the magazine.  Don't flame
me if something's inaccurate, this is all from memory.
--
                   - Jim Frost * The Madd Hacker -