[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS-DOS disk format/layout

karamich@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (11/05/86)

Mr. Video writes:

>Purchase a copy of the PC-DOS Technical Reference Manual from your local IBM
>dealer.  It has all you need in there.  I have one and have used said
>information to fix problems.

Pay Big Blue MORE money for stuff it should already include with its systems!
HA!!! You've gotta be kidding! Go to a bookstore and by an independent's
book on IBM Technicalities--and for god's sake stay AWAY from Microsoft's
DOS Encyclopedia-- the thing is full of more bugs than the IBM FORTRAN compiler
Version 1.0.  Buy something like Norton's or Compute's.

By the way IBM no longer ships the BASIC manual along with its systems. Why
don't they just take out the BASIC ROM chip too!!!! (It takes up too much space
on the motherboard ya know!)

-----
Tom Karamichos
Computing Services Office - PC Consulting Dept.

BITNET:	karamich@uiucuxc.bitnet
ARPA:	karamich@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
CSNET:	karamich@uiucuxc.csnet
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!karamich

 Women -- you can't live without them, you can't shoot them!

brown@nicmad.UUCP (11/17/86)

In article <21900189@uiucuxc> karamich@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU writes:

>Mr. Video writes:
>
>>Purchase a copy of the PC-DOS Technical Reference Manual from your local IBM
>>dealer.  It has all you need in there.  I have one and have used said
>>information to fix problems.
>
>Pay Big Blue MORE money for stuff it should already include with its systems!
>HA!!! You've gotta be kidding! Go to a bookstore and by an independent's
>book on IBM Technicalities--and for god's sake stay AWAY from Microsoft's
>DOS Encyclopedia-- the thing is full of more bugs than the IBM FORTRAN compiler
>Version 1.0.  Buy something like Norton's or Compute's.

I can't speak (talk)[write] about Norton's books, but the COMPUTES! Mapping the
IBM PC and PCjr point you to the IBM DOS Technical Reference Manual for many
things.  The hard disk layout information in NOT in the COMPUTES! book.
--
		  ihnp4------\
		harvard-\     \