[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS LINK- fixup error

james@reality1.UUCP (james) (11/18/86)

IN article <2250@mtgzz.UUCP>, rosen@mtgzz.UUCP (t.rosenfeld) wrote:
> I'm having a terrible problem linking my program! I am using Microsoft
> C and Assembler. I am trying to link in an assembly module with my C modules
> and I keep getting "Fixup overflow ..." errors when I link. [...]

> 	cl -Alfu -K -Od

> Any suggestions???

Could you connect the addresses Link gave you with the error to known routines
in your program?  I can't tell what your problem is from your description, but
I would suggest trying to find the error via the Link error output: it will
give you the offset from the start of the module to the error.  Since you
didn't say otherwise I assume you are using versions 4.0 of the C compiler
and assembler.  As an idea of what to look for, make sure your assume
statements are correct.  If you reference a symbol in segment Q, but no
segment register points to segment Q, or if you reference a symbol Z in
segment Q via ES:Z when assume ES:P is in effect (where P is anything but Q),
link will in both cases try to do strange and wonderous things in an attempt
to make things work right (and therefore usually breaks the program or generates
the fixup overflow message).  If perchance your assume statements aren't
exactly right this could be the cause...  But in any case track down the
offending instruction with the link error output and that should indicate the
real source of the problem.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!ut-ngp!utastro!osi3b2!james    "Live Free or Die"