[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ATTACK board

rob@gould9.UUCP (rob) (11/10/86)

In article <10000025@exunido.UUCP>, tb@exunido.UUCP writes:
> Hi folks,
>
> I recently saw an ad in Byte regarding an AT compatible board called ATTACK
> from Advanced Intelligence Technologies. The board is said to run with max 12
> Mhz ( Wow).
> Anybody outhere who has some experiences with this board ? Please summarize
> your experiences with this board to me.
>
> 			Thanx in advance
>
> 				Torsten
> 				tb@exunido

	I am expecting to recieve one shortly and hope to have
it running by december,,,Anyone know where I can find a 80286-12
cpu or do they make one?

wmam@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (tony mason) (11/11/86)

In article <10000025@exunido.UUCP> tb@exunido.UUCP writes:
>I recently saw an ad in Byte regarding an AT compatible board called ATTACK
>from Advanced Intelligence Technologies. The board is said to run with max 12
>Mhz ( Wow).
>Anybody outhere who has some experiences with this board ? Please summarize
>your experiences with this board to me.

Just a few words of warning here:

	1. 12MHZ 80286s don't exist (although Intel has said "soon").
	2. 10MHZ 80286s are about $300.00
	3. This machine, when completely configured, costs as much as an 8MHZ
	   clone.
	4. Building a machine like this requires (unless you get the
	   pre-assembled board) some equipment (logic probe, oscilliscope).
	5. The fact that it uses 1MBit chips is impressive yes, but they are
	   still $60.00 each.
	6. Even if you get the board from them, you still need the IC's.  They
	   sell those extra - another $100.00

It would be a great experience if you can deal with the frustrations (if you
decide to assemble it, $30.00 for the tech manual is a MUST.)

Tony Mason
University of Chicago

    uucp:  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!wmam, ...ihnp4!gargoyle!euler!tony
    mailnet:  m1.spokane@UChicago.Mailnet
    bitnet:   wmam%sphinx@UChicago.Bitnet
    ARPA:     m1.spokane%UChicago.Mailnet@MIT-Multics.ARPA
    US. Lotto System (bet your 22 cents that it will get there!!!)
			 3854 S. Archer               (312) 254-2114 home
    	     Chicago, IL  60632

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (11/13/86)

In article <798@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> wmam@sphinx.UUCP (tony mason) writes:
>Just a few words of warning here:
>
>	1. 12MHZ 80286s don't exist (although Intel has said "soon").

Intel isn't the only company making 80286s. I just checked my Compaq
and guess who made the 80286 inside it?

--
 The VT220 keyboard is an <iS<o standard. That means the French can
 hate it as well as the Americans.

 <phil <ngai +1 408 749 5720
 <u<uC<p: <[ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra<]!amdcad!phil
 AR<pA<; amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

ching@amd.UUCP (Mike Ching) (11/14/86)

In article <> wmam@sphinx.UUCP (tony mason) writes:
>In article <10000025@exunido.UUCP> tb@exunido.UUCP writes:
>>I recently saw an ad in Byte regarding an AT compatible board called ATTACK
>>from Advanced Intelligence Technologies. The board is said to run with max 12
>>Mhz ( Wow).
>>Anybody outhere who has some experiences with this board ? Please summarize
>>your experiences with this board to me.
>
>Just a few words of warning here:
>
>	1. 12MHZ 80286s don't exist (although Intel has said "soon").

AMD has been shipping 12.5MHz 80286s for several months. For us
"soon" is 16MHz.

>	2. 10MHZ 80286s are about $300.00

Semiconductor manufacturers would be in much better shape if we
could get people to pay this price. Stores in this area are a bit
more aggressive.

mike ching
standard disclaimers.

rob@gould9.UUCP (rob) (11/18/86)

In article <798@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP>, wmam@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (tony mason) writes:
> In article <10000025@exunido.UUCP> tb@exunido.UUCP writes:
> >I recently saw an ad in Byte regarding an AT compatible board called ATTACK
> >from Advanced Intelligence Technologies. The board is said to run with max 12
> >Mhz ( Wow).
> >Anybody outhere who has some experiences with this board ? Please summarize
> >your experiences with this board to me.
>
> Just a few words of warning here:
>
> 	1. 12MHZ 80286s don't exist (although Intel has said "soon").
> 	2. 10MHZ 80286s are about $300.00
> 	3. This machine, when completely configured, costs as much as an 8MHZ
> 	   clone.
> 	4. Building a machine like this requires (unless you get the
> 	   pre-assembled board) some equipment (logic probe, oscilliscope).
> 	5. The fact that it uses 1MBit chips is impressive yes, but they are
> 	   still $60.00 each.
> 	6. Even if you get the board from them, you still need the IC's.  They
> 	   sell those extra - another $100.00
>
> It would be a great experience if you can deal with the frustrations (if you
> decide to assemble it, $30.00 for the tech manual is a MUST.)
>
> Tony Mason
> University of Chicago
>
>     uucp:  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!wmam, ...ihnp4!gargoyle!euler!tony
>     mailnet:  m1.spokane@UChicago.Mailnet
>     bitnet:   wmam%sphinx@UChicago.Bitnet
>     ARPA:     m1.spokane%UChicago.Mailnet@MIT-Multics.ARPA
>     US. Lotto System (bet your 22 cents that it will get there!!!)
> 			 3854 S. Archer               (312) 254-2114 home
>     	     Chicago, IL  60632

	The 1mb drams can be purchased for 32.00 and the support chips
are not as expensive as you might have guessed, Iam still expecting to
receive this board in the near future,,as soon as the company receives
the parts list.
	I will summarize to the net when I get it all finished or
sooner if it is a catastrophe!