[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Keyboard repeat speed-up program for AT

reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) (11/16/86)

[]

Does anyone have the little program that will speed up the keyboard
repeat on an AT?

Thanks.

Tom Reingold -- Rockefeller Univ, 1230 York Av, NY 10021; (212) 570-7709
UUCP:       {seismo|philabs|phri|harvard|ihnp4}!cmcl2!rna!rocky2!reintom
ARPANET: reintom@rockefeller.arpa <<<<<<<->>>>>> BITNET: REINTOM@ROCKVAX

iadt3tb@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (T. Terrell Banks) (11/17/86)

-
In article <282@rocky2.UUCP> reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) writes:

>Does anyone have the little program that will speed up the keyboard
>repeat on an AT?
>
>Thanks.

Oh, my goodness! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!  Someone finally asked
an IBM-PC question that I can answer.

The following works fine for me:
           in your autoexec.bat file include the following line
                  debug <curspeed.deb >nul
           create a file on your disk that contains these 3 lines
                  O 60 f3
                  O 60 0

           name this file curspeed.deb.

           I don't know that I could tell you what this really does,
  or how (in fact I know that I couldn't) but a friend gave it to me
  and it works and I use it every time I turn on the machine.

                                    Enjoy,
                                      Terry Banks

cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Charles Blair) (11/19/86)

In article <282@rocky2.UUCP> reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) writes:
>[]
>
>Does anyone have the little program that will speed up the keyboard
>repeat on an AT?
>
>Thanks.

3541:0100 B0F3           MOV	AL,F3
3541:0102 E660           OUT	60,AL                         ;'`'
3541:0104 B90010         MOV	CX,1000
3541:0107 90             NOP
3541:0108 E2FD           LOOP	0107
3541:010A B002           MOV	AL,02
3541:010C E660           OUT	60,AL                         ;'`'
3541:010E C3             RET

The above is it. It's so short I didn't think anyone would mind its
being posted here. MOV AL,02 gives a speed I feel most comfortable
with. MOV AL,00 speeds typematic up even more, but this can be a hassle
if you leave your fingers on the keyboard even a bit too long. MOV
AL,04 gives a slower speedup.

This is a COM file, and should be able to be entered and saved directly
form DEBUG. I got it from somebody who I think saw it in PC Magazine or
the like; I don't know for sure, so I can't give credit where it is due.
--
Charles Blair   			    ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!cjdb
The University of Chicago		    lib.cb%chip@UChicago.Bitnet