[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Running CP/M on 8088 Machines

myxm@lanl.ARPA (Mike Mitchell) (11/13/86)

8088, 8086, etc.-- there is a fine emulator program available on many
bulletin board systems areound the country. It is called Z80MU and it
emulates a CP/M machine running CP/M 2.2. I have briefly played with it
(it will run the original crowther's adventure) and it seems to run
well behaved CP/M software.

This program was reviewed in the Oct 86 Byte on page 203. I would
recommend that you folks take a read on this article. The major
difficulty that I found with this program is getting the CP/M stuff
onto a DOS diskette. The article explains a couple of methods of
doing this, but I wound up using the serial port transfer (works
every time).

I have run this program on numerous configurations including the PC/XT,
AT, and clones with the same results. The faster the clock speed of your
machine, the faster emulation of the Z80. On an AT, the program clocks in
as about an 8mHz Z80. (Better than that old Altos you are using huh??)
The Z80 speed is determined by some internal algorithm (my machine runs
a tad fast).

()
Mike Mitchell
...!{cmcl2!ihnp4}!lanl!myxm.uucp
myxm@lanl.arpa

angel@bentley.UUCP (A Gomez) (11/19/86)

As to getting CPM software on an MSDOS disk. There is a program called
CONVERT which will convert any 5.25" CPM disk to MSDOS format. It has 30
or so systems preprogrammed, and allows 10 user defined. Any of the
big software dealers has it. Its about $120.

					Angel

wb8foz@ncoast.UUCP (David Lesher) (11/21/86)

******REPLACE THIS MESSAGE WITH YOUR LINE********

I suggest a program called Media Master from
Intersecting Concepts. It is cheaper and reads/
writes/formats ~100 different 5.25 disks, many of
which are CPM.
It says here their # is 805-529-5073..
--

		      decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!wb8foz
			ncoast!wb8foz@case.csnet

    	         		"SERIOUS?
		Bones, it could upset the entire percentage!"

berger@clio.UUCP (11/21/86)

For the same price, Uniform handles over 150 formats, including
8", 3.5", and 96 TPI options with the right disk controller.

			ihnp4!uiucuxc!clio!berger

keeshu@nikhefk.uucp (Kees Huyser) (11/21/86)

In article <904@bentley.UUCP> angel@bentley.UUCP (A Gomez) writes:
>As to getting CPM software on an MSDOS disk. There is a program called
>CONVERT which will convert any 5.25" CPM disk to MSDOS format. It has 30
>or so systems preprogrammed, and allows 10 user defined. Any of the
>big software dealers has it. Its about $120.
>
>					Angel

You could also try to get hold of a program calles UNIFORM. It has aprox.
100 different diskformats, both 40 tracks and 80 tracks, single sided, double
sided, songle density and double density.
One of the noce features of UNIFORM is, that it will not only allow you to
transfer files between PC[MS]DOS and the 100 or so CP/M formats, but you can
also tell PC[MS]DOS to recognize the next highest drive in your system ( d: if you have 2 floppies and an HD) as a CP/M disk in any of the CP/M formats.
You don't even have to transfer the CP/M files; just use them as they come
on the CP/M floppy! Use any PC[MS]DOS command to access the CP/M disk.

-- Kees
[I have no connection with the makers of UNIFORM, other than as a satisfied
user]