[comp.sys.ibm.pc] unix for AT

gib@ncoast.UUCP (11/21/86)

Recently I have been preparing to buy an AT clone due to the drastic drop
of prices I witnessed at COMDEX and I have also decided that when I get one,
I will want some form of *NIX running on it.

SCO Xenix looks VERY nice, but it does not even have uucp as something
that comes standard with a basic setup, but some of the other features,
like Lyrix and virtual logins from the console are very attractive.
MS-Xenix appears to be the standard, but I have seen nothing of it save
the price, which appears too pricey to me. MICROPORT UNIX, however, appears
to be a good, complete value at a low price, although I havn't seen a review
of it anywhere yet...

Is there anyone who is familiar enough with any of the above [or yet another
flavor of UNIX for the AT] to post an article with it's pros, cons, and
special features? I know that SCO Xenis has buffer emptying every 15 seconds,
but I'm not so sure whether that would be a curse or a blessing.

please reply via uucp mail and I will post a summary if there is interest.

ben@catnip.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (11/26/86)

In article <1732@ncoast.UUCP> gib@ncoast.UUCP (gib wallis) writes:
>Recently I have been preparing to buy an AT clone due to the drastic drop
>of prices I witnessed at COMDEX and I have also decided that when I get one,
>I will want some form of *NIX running on it.
>
>SCO Xenix looks VERY nice, but it does not even have uucp as something
>that comes standard with a basic setup, but some of the other features,
>like Lyrix and virtual logins from the console are very attractive.

No.  UUCP does indeed come standard, Lyrix is an added cost option.
The UUCP that comes with SCO Xenix is an old V7 version, but I haven't
had the slightest problem talking to any other sites.

--

Ben Broder
{ihnp4,decvax} !hjuxa!catnip!ben