[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS 3.1/3.2 help...

dvadura@watdaisy.UUCP (11/25/86)

Hi there, does anyone out there in net land know how you can find out from
DOS what the names of physical drives active in the system are?  I haven't
found a DOS call for it, at least not obviously documented in the technical
reference manual.  (ie. what I want to know is how I can find out that
drives a, b, and d exist and are real disks in the system or in the case
of a system with two partitions c and d on a hard disk,
and one floppy drive called a, I should get the names a, c, and d.)

NOTE:  By names I don't mean I want a, c, and d, it is sufficient to get
       a bit string with bits set for the drives that are actually attached.

It would be even nicer if I can get such info in a portable way.

-thanks in advance
-dennis
Dennis Vadura, Computer Science Dept., University of Waterloo

UUCP:  {ihnp4|allegra|utzoo|utcsri}!watmath!watdaisy!dvadura

dragheb@isis.UUCP (Darius "OPRDRT" Ragheb) (11/28/86)

In article <8005@watdaisy.UUCP> dvadura@watdaisy.UUCP (Dennis Vadura) writes:

>Hi there, does anyone out there in net land know how you can find out from
>DOS what the names of physical drives active in the system are?  I haven't

I think this might work (I have not tried it):
use function (_FUNCTION_, not interrupt) call Eh. It will do two things:
make the drive selected in DL the current drive, and
return the number of drives in AL.

The way the drives are numbered is A=0, B=1, ....
BUT:   I believe if you have one physical drive (i.e. 0 being called A:),
then you will also have 1 (B:), and DOS will do the prompting for switching
of disks (i.e. Diskcopy a: b: with only one drive....)

--

UseNet:              {hplabs, seismo}!hao!isis!dragheb