[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Patch to make Procomm work with DOS 3.2

gwr@linus.UUCP (Gordon W. Ross) (11/27/86)

Procomm version 2.42 (and maybe others) when run with DOS 3.2 will
cause the system to hang if you press CTRL-BREAK.  The problem is
caused by stack checking code in Procomm which gets confused by the
stack swapping done in DOS 3.2.  Previous versions of DOS do not have
stack swapping and cause no problems for Procomm.

The following patch will make Procomm 2.42 work with DOS 3.2.

	RENAME PROCOMM.EXE PROCOMM.BIN
	DEBUG PROCOMM.BIN
	E 83D 90 90 90
	RENAME PROCOMM.BIN PROCOMM.EXE

This patch replaces a call to the stack checking routine with NOP
instructions.  I posted and later canceled a similar patch for this
problem which disabled some code in the stack checking routine.
This patch is a little better since it leaves the stack checking
routine enabled for any other calls to it.  Hope this helps someone.
--
    Gordon W. Ross              Phone: (617) 271-2199
    The MITRE Corporation       ARPA: linus!gwr@mitre-bedford

hymie@dvm.UUCP (Hyman Rosen) (12/02/86)

In article <63@linus.UUCP> gwr@linus.UUCP (Gordon W. Ross) writes:
>Procomm version 2.42 (and maybe others) when run with DOS 3.2 will
>cause the system to hang if you press CTRL-BREAK.  The problem is...

Not only can it hang the system, it can also wipe out your hard disk.
I was logging into a file and hit CTRL-BREAK. Procomm managed to
destroy my FATs and the root directory. (Gnashing of teeth!)
I hope that the patch that this is in reply to really helps!
--

								- Hymie

		...{decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!allegra!phri!orville!dvm!hymie