[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for PD DataBase Pkg???

toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) (12/03/86)

I am looking for a Public Domain/Shareware DataBase Package for the PC.
Does anyone know if such a thing exists. Possibly w/source???

Thanx,
Tom
---
UUCP:
                          ihnp4\
                                \killer!toma
                                /
  drillsys!infoswx!convex!dj3b1/

Tom Armistead

psfales@ihlpl.UUCP (Peter Fales) (12/04/86)

> I am looking for a Public Domain/Shareware DataBase Package for the PC.
> Does anyone know if such a thing exists. Possibly w/source???

PC-FILE is a pretty nice Shareware Database package and is available
on many BBS systems.  It's not dBase III, but at $59.95 its certainly
much cheaper and supplies all the features needed for simple
home/office database applications.

Peter Fales
ihnp4!ihlpl!psfales

wmf@chinet.UUCP (William M. Fischer) (12/04/86)

In article <360@killer.UUCP> toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) writes:
>I am looking for a Public Domain/Shareware DataBase Package for the PC.

Here's a list of DB software that I have found on many BBS's all over the
country:

PC-DBMS		Very nicely done, creates data files in a "plain text"
		format so that they can be used with Word Processors,
		Spreadsheets, etc.

PC-FILE		Part of a family of software that includes a spreadsheet,
		word processor and chart / graphics support. The author
		is most emphatic about the shareware status of this piece.

OLAF		Pretty weak on the user interface side, good foundation to
		build on?

PBASE		Setting your files and screens is a challenge, but looks
		very slick when done, user defined popup windows, menus.

WAMPUM 		Supposed to be a DBASE clone.

I know that WAMPUM can be found on a Gov't run (Census Bureau?) BBS:

24 hrs a day / 2400 / 7 / E / 1 / (301) 763-4576 / RBBS 14D software

Hope this was helpful,

             |    Fortiter in re,       ||     Bill Fischer     |
             |       suaviter in modo.  ||  ...ihnp4!chinet!wmf |

pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Grant A. Prellwitz) (12/06/86)

In article <360@killer.UUCP> toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) writes:
>I am looking for a Public Domain/Shareware DataBase Package for the PC.
>Does anyone know if such a thing exists. Possibly w/source???

How about PC-File III?  My father is actually a registered user on that
one, but I haven't used it much.  It's shareware, with something like a
$59.95 fee.  From what I saw of it it seems alright, though Jim Button
won't give out the source.  Opinions on it anyone?
BTW, his order number is 1-800-JBUTTON and his "business line" is
                         1-206-454-0479  (WA?)

I am in no way connected with the company, just an interested party.
Also, he has a relational database that is *not* shareware/PD called
PC-File/R.  Any comments on it?

Grant Prellwitz
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1    UUCP
76474,2121                     CompuServe