[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PKX33A12 - a shareware archiving program

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (12/01/86)

I tested the PKARC and PKXARC programs obtained from the self-un-packing
PKX33A12.COM program, and compared their performance to ARC version 5.10.
I used three "data" files in my test: ARC.DOC, the doc file for arc;
ARC.EXE, the arc program itself; and T, a text file I had handy.

                  -------ARC------------       --------PK-----------
                   In                Out        In               Out
File     Size     Time  %    Size   Time       Time  %   Size   Time
ARC.DOC  60168    82    59   24711  40         14    58  25513   8
ARC.EXE  32051    64    20   27519  30          9    32  21904   6
T        14808    24    53    7071  11          5    53   7102   2

All tests were run totally in ramdisk (both programs and all files) on a
vanilla IBM PC.  The first "Time" is time to put the file in a new archive.
The % is the crunch factor, the "Size" is the size of the resulting
archive and the second "Time" is the time to extract the file from the
archive.  All times are done with a sweep second hand, and include the
program load time (at most 1 second) and are in seconds.

The PK programs seem to run about 5x as fast as the ARC program, and to
produce compression which varies from slightly worse to considerably
better than what ARC does.

The two programs do seem to be "compatible" in that they seem able to
unpack each other's archives.  (I only made a cursory test of this.)

--henry schaffer  n c state univ

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Robert Montante) (12/02/86)

How about some pointers to BBS's that have this program?  I've heard good things
about it, but I can't find it.  (I know it's available in an archive "here"
somewhere [ARPAnet?] but I don't have access to that archive because I'm on the
wrong net.)
(p.s. If anyone is willing to email it, I'd certainly appreciate that, too...)

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (12/05/86)

I think I have found a bug in this program.  If I have a directory full
of files, one of which is an archive named bar.arc, and I issue the
command "pkarc a foo *.*" I should end up with an archive called
foo.arc, which contains bar.arc and all the other files that are in
the directory.

Now try to extract bar.arc from foo.arc.  It won't work, giving a
phantom error which combines 'bar.arc' and the name of the first file in
the archive.

So, be careful about not archiving archives.

--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman						    mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

madd@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (Jim "Jack" Frost) (12/05/86)

In article <2690@osu-eddie.UUCP> mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>I think I have found a bug in this program.  If I have a directory full
>of files, one of which is an archive named bar.arc, and I issue the
>command "pkarc a foo *.*" I should end up with an archive called
>foo.arc, which contains bar.arc and all the other files that are in
>the directory.
>
>Now try to extract bar.arc from foo.arc.  It won't work, giving a
>phantom error which combines 'bar.arc' and the name of the first file in
>the archive.
>
>So, be careful about not archiving archives.

Which version of ARC are you using?  When a friend and I, using ARC
5.12, I think, tried ARCing an ARC file, it just came up with another
ARC file (which unpacked just fine) that was somewhat longer than the
other (I would assume that this is because the compression used was
optimal the first time, BTW).

I suppose my I may be losing my mind (it's been months since we did
this) but I am pretty sure we unpacked it.  Anyone with ARC handy care
to retry it?  It may be a small bug (little is still bad, tho) that
only shows up occasionally.  Also, the ARC file we used was nearly 1Mb
unpacked, about 350K packed.
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
                   - Jim Frost * The Madd Hacker -

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Robert Montante) (12/07/86)

First, Thanks to all who've responded to my request for a copy of PKARC
-- including Wayne Aiken, who sent me a copy from an address that I can't
send a reply to ("Bad mailer-daemon! No biscuit!").  Having tried it, I
can now add my two cents' worth to the following...

Jim "Jack" Frost writes:
>Which version of ARC are you using?  When a friend and I, using ARC
>5.12, I think, tried ARCing an ARC file, it just came up with another
>ARC file (which unpacked just fine)   [...]

I was also able to combine (small) .ARC files from ARC v5.12 with PKARC v1.2
Indeed, all possible permutations (PKARC archiving its own .ARC files, archiving
ARC's files, and vice versa) successfully unpacked again.  I used text files.
If archiving of archives is a necessity, the speed advantage of PKARC is such
that it may be worth testing each occurrence for re-unpackability (?)

While I'm at it...I found PKARC to be much more compressive on binary files,
equivalent or a bit worse on text files.  I ran across an archive some time
ago that REALLY intrigued me -- ARC v5.12 was able to un-archive it, but it
had been created by something that did Lempel-Ziv compression to all the files
in the archive.  The remarkable thing was that some of these files came out
_Larger_ as a result of the L-Z compression, yet the overall .ARC file was
much _smaller_ than ARC v5.12 was able to achieve when I re-ARCed the files
to see what would happen.  Yow!

*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*-=-*

RAMontante, iuvax!bobmon
Computer Science				"Have you hugged ME today?"
Indiana University

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (12/08/86)

In <635@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP> madd@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (Jim "Jack" Frost) writes:
>In article <2690@osu-eddie.UUCP> mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>>I think I have found a bug in this program.  If I have a directory full
>>of files, one of which is an archive named bar.arc, and I issue the
>>command "pkarc a foo *.*" I should end up with an archive called
>>foo.arc, which contains bar.arc and all the other files that are in
>>the directory.
>>
>>Now try to extract bar.arc from foo.arc.  It won't work, giving a
>>phantom error which combines 'bar.arc' and the name of the first file in
>>the archive.
>>
>Which version of ARC are you using?

PKARC, as referenced in the subject line, not ARC.

--