[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Dos 2.0

sanford@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (the WAR LORD) (11/25/86)

Can anybody get a copy of DOS 2.0 to me?
Respond either to:
     SANFORD@BLUE
     LPO 10227
or See me at GSLS on Wednesday and Thursday 10am-2pm and
                     Wednesday 2pm-5pm.

If you come to GSLS, I can make a copy of it at the Satellite, but
let me know in advance so I can bring a disk.

                      THANKYOU

Neil Sanford.

ark@alice.UUCP (11/25/86)

In article <7302@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, sanford@topaz.UUCP writes:

> Can anybody get a copy of DOS 2.0 to me?
> Respond either to:
>      SANFORD@BLUE
>      LPO 10227
> or See me at GSLS on Wednesday and Thursday 10am-2pm and
>                      Wednesday 2pm-5pm.
>
> Neil Sanford.

Neil, you may not realize this, but your note is more or less equivalent
to saying something like this:

	I want a car radio.  Will someone please help me steal one?

Not only are you admitting your intention to violate the copyright law,
but you are asking others to help you.  I suggest you reconsider.

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (A Kacker) (11/26/86)

In article <7302@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> sanford@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (the WAR LORD) writes:

>Can anybody get a copy of DOS 2.0 to me?
>Respond either to:
>     SANFORD@BLUE
>     LPO 10227

Making copies of DOS 2.0??
Isn't that a wee bit illegal? And why 2.0 ;-)

>or See me at GSLS on Wednesday and Thursday 10am-2pm and
>                     Wednesday 2pm-5pm.
>
>Neil Sanford.

I don't think many people on the net would be able to make it GSLS
during those times. How about Friday at 10am ;-)

Anyway, it pays to read net.announce.newusers once to find out what
Distribution means.

Atul Kacker
UUCP    : {allegra|seismo|decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!akk2
BITNET  : AKK2@UORDBV

smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP (11/26/86)

In article <6385@alice.uUCp> ark@alice.UUCP writes:
>In article <7302@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, sanford@topaz.UUCP writes:
>>
>> Can anybody get a copy of DOS 2.0 to me?
>
>Neil, you may not realize this, but your note is more or less equivalent
>to saying something like this:
>	I want a car radio.  Will someone please help me steal one?
>Not only are you admitting your intention to violate the copyright law,
>but you are asking others to help you.  I suggest you reconsider.

On the contrary, I think Mr. Sanford's note is more or less equivalent
to:
	I want a car radio.  Anyone have one they are not using any
	more and are willing to give me, owner's manual and all?
A "copy" of a piece of software does not automatically imply an illegitamate
"copy" of said piece of software.  If I had upgraded from 2.0 to 2.1, I
might want to get rid of my 2.0, manual and all.  This is well within the
confines of the licence agreement.

nomad@gitpyr.UUCP (11/27/86)

In article <6385@alice.uUCp>, ark@alice.UUCP responds:

> Neil, you may not realize this, but your note is more or less equivalent
> to saying something like this:
>
> 	I want a car radio.  Will someone please help me steal one?
>
> Not only are you admitting your intention to violate the copyright law,
> but you are asking others to help you.  I suggest you reconsider.

    I say BRAVO for calling this "request" exactly what it is, blatant
    disregard for copyright law.

Jay K. Joiner
Georgia Insitute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!nomad

sanford@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (the WAR LORD) (12/01/86)

Well EXCUSE ME FOR ASKING for a copy of Ibm DOS 2.0.

For all those people who are concerned about software piracy,
I happened to have purchase Dos 2.0, as well as Dos 3.1, but
as fragil as floppy disks are, my Dos 2.0 original was destroyed,
so in order to save some time (4 to 6 weeks to be exact) until I
received a new one from IBM, I would have liked to continue my work.
I'm sure if one of your friends had this problem, You would have
jumped at the chance to help them.

I see that this network is for the Elite few only, so forget I
ever mentioned it.

cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Charles Blair) (12/03/86)

In article <7411@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> sanford@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (the WAR
LORD) writes:

>Well EXCUSE ME FOR ASKING for a copy of Ibm DOS 2.0.
>
>For all those people who are concerned about software piracy,
>I happened to have purchase Dos 2.0, as well as Dos 3.1, but
>as fragil as floppy disks are, my Dos 2.0 original was destroyed,
>so in order to save some time (4 to 6 weeks to be exact) until I
>received a new one from IBM, I would have liked to continue my work.
> [...]

The moral of this story would then seem to be ...

                  MAKE BACKUPS !!!

(PC-DOS isn't copy-protected.)

--
Charles Blair   			    ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!cjdb
The University of Chicago		          PMRCJDB@UCHIMVS1.Bitnet

pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Grant A. Prellwitz) (12/05/86)

In article <7411@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> sanford@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (the WAR LORD) writes:
>For all those people who are concerned about software piracy,
>I happened to have purchase Dos 2.0, as well as Dos 3.1, but
>as fragil as floppy disks are, my Dos 2.0 original was destroyed,

As one of the guilty parties, I feel that I can make a blanket apology for all
those who jumped all over your back about your presumed underworld activities.
We sometimes forget that people are innocent until proven guilty.  Just to get
a last jab in there, however, why didn't you just use your backup (of course we
ALL make backups of our software :*)

Grant Prellwitz
uucp:  !ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1
CIS: 76474,2121

ddrex@gorgo.UUCP (12/05/86)

/* Written 11:34 am  Dec  1, 1986 by sanford@topaz.UUCP in gorgo.UUCP:comp.sy.ibm.pc */
/* ---------- "Dos 2.0" ---------- */

Well EXCUSE ME FOR ASKING for a copy of Ibm DOS 2.0.

For all those people who are concerned about software piracy,
I happened to have purchase Dos 2.0, as well as Dos 3.1, but
as fragil as floppy disks are, my Dos 2.0 original was destroyed,
so in order to save some time (4 to 6 weeks to be exact) until I
received a new one from IBM, I would have liked to continue my work.
I'm sure if one of your friends had this problem, You would have
jumped at the chance to help them.

I see that this network is for the Elite few only, so forget I
ever mentioned it.
/* End of text from gorgo.UUCP:comp.sy.ibm.pc */

Some people might make a copy for a friend under certain circumstances, but
it *is* illegal. Like dope & sex, it isn't something you ASK for on the net,
unless you're a masochist.

As fragile as floppy disks are, it pays to make backups.

 David Drexler

 --  UUCP:     {ihnp4,cbosgd,okstate,oktext,uokmax}!occrsh!gorgo!ddrex
 --  FidoNet:  19/1 -or- decvax!encore!vaxine!spark!147!1!drexler
 --  AT&T:     [405] 728-2463  (data only: 2400/1200/300 bps)
 --  Quote:    "You may wager your saccharoid mule that I am!"

ddb@viper.UUCP (David Dyer_Bennet) (12/07/86)

In article <7411@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> sanford@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (the WAR LORD) writes:

>Well EXCUSE ME FOR ASKING for a copy of Ibm DOS 2.0.
>
>For all those people who are concerned about software piracy,
>I happened to have purchase Dos 2.0, as well as Dos 3.1, but
>
>I see that this network is for the Elite few only, so forget I
>ever mentioned it.

No, no, you've got it wrong.  Because this net ISN'T for the Elite few only,
people were unwilling to automatically assume that your request was
strictly legit.  If this net were for the elite only, we'd know for sure
you were ok and wouldn't have had to worry about the piracy question.

See, it's all in how you loot at things.

--
		-- David Dyer-Bennet
		...ihnp4!{quest,meccts}!viper!ddb

baron@transys.UUCP (12/10/86)

In article <421@viper.UUCP} ddb@viper.UUCP (David Dyer_Bennet) writes:
}In article <7411@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU} sanford@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (the WAR LORD) writes:
}}Well EXCUSE ME FOR ASKING for a copy of Ibm DOS 2.0.
}}For all those people who are concerned about software piracy,
}}I happened to have purchase Dos 2.0, as well as Dos 3.1, but
}}I see that this network is for the Elite few only, so forget I
}}ever mentioned it.

}No, no, you've got it wrong.  Because this net ISN'T for the Elite few only,
}people were unwilling to automatically assume that your request was
}strictly legit.  If this net were for the elite only, we'd know for sure
}you were ok and wouldn't have had to worry about the piracy question.

}See, it's all in how you loot at things.
                          ^^^^
			  ^^^^

			   ^
			Was that a freudian slip, or what?

--
These are my own opinions, not those of my employer (self),
or any one connected with the company (mine)