[comp.sys.ibm.pc] LPT3 support without an installed Mono Display Card - Query

burton@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Philip M. Burton) (12/11/86)

I would like to configure a second parallel port in my PC AT as LPT3, and use
the LPT2 interrupt for another purpose.  DOS doesn't recognize LPT3 without a
mono card installed.  It seems silly to get a mono display card, which I don't
need, just to get LPT3 support from DOS.

Does anyone know of a patch to DOS, preferably 3.1, to support a normal LPT1
plus LPT3?  (Do I lose any significant functionality, driving either an Epson
or a Diablo 630 printer?)

Alternatively, does anyone know how to hack a cheapie AT parallel/serial, or
AT multifunction card to make the parallel port look like the one in the mono
display card?  Please be very specific.

Thanks in advance,

Phil Burton
Xerox Corp

johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) (12/15/86)

In article <133@parcvax.Xerox.COM> burton@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Philip M. Burton) writes:
>I would like to configure a second parallel port in my PC AT as LPT3, and use
>the LPT2 interrupt for another purpose. ...

There's no need.  DOS doesn't run the printer with interrupts anyway.  The
worst that can happen is that occasionally your interrupt routine will get
called because of a printer interrupt rather than because of your device.

Due to the poor design of the IBM printer interface, you can't run the printer
with interrupts -- there's no way to keep from losing the interrupts.  Programs
that appear to do so such as the "print" print spooler are actually polling the
printer when the clock interrupts.
--
John R. Levine, Javelin Software Corp., Cambridge MA +1 617 494 1400
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.EDU