[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Writing 360K diskettes on 1.2 Mb dri

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM ( David Reed) (12/02/86)

By way of comment from my experience:  I have found with the great variety and
numbers of computers I use around here that:
    a 360K disc formatted in a 1.2M drive (with the /4 option to format as
       a 360K disc, of course) canNOT be read in about 1/3 of the 360K
       drives when a 1.2M drive also writes the data to the disc, but
    a 360K disc formatted in a 360K drive and written to by a 1.2M drive
       can NEARLY always be read in a 360K drive.

Most of our new  machines  have ONLY 1.2M drives for  floppies,  but we have a
couple of machines with a 360K drive installed as a second floppy drive simply
for the above  purpose,  to format a 360K disc so that it will more  likely be
readable  by an older 360K drive (even if it might have data  written on it by
the 1.2M drives).

-David M. Reed        hplsla!davidr

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (12/08/86)

In article <2690002@hplsla.HP.COM>, davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (      David Reed) writes:
> By way of comment from my experience:  I have found with the great variety and
> numbers of computers I use around here that:
>     a 360K disc formatted in a 1.2M drive (with the /4 option to format as
>        a 360K disc, of course) canNOT be read in about 1/3 of the 360K
>        drives when a 1.2M drive also writes the data to the disc, but
>     a 360K disc formatted in a 360K drive and written to by a 1.2M drive
>        can NEARLY always be read in a 360K drive.

I would disagree with the above entirely. The above rules are either
accidentally reversed or a recipe for disaster.  Disks made on 360k
drives should NEVER be written to with a 1.2 Meg drive if you want
to subsequently be able to read them on a 360K drive again (unless you
bulk erase and start all over again).  WHen you
write to a 360K disk using a 1.2Meg drive the erase/record head cuts
a tunnel down the middle of the old 360K recording. This is fine as
long as you only ever play back the disk on 1.2M drives. However if
you try and read it on a 360K drive the head will pick up the 1.2Meg
recording PLUS the residual unrerased 360K recording on each side
resulting in a high probability of errors.

The cardinal rule is this: If you must use 1.2M drives to make 360K d
disks, make sure the disk is either new or bulk-erased, or that it has
only ever been written to by a 1.2M drive in 360K format.

Mike Gingell     ....decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!mjg

stuart@bms-at.UUCP (12/11/86)

In article <2441@ecsvax.UUCP>, mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) writes:

> In article <2690002@hplsla.HP.COM>, davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (      David Reed) writes:

> > numbers of computers I use around here that:
> >     a 360K disc formatted in a 1.2M drive (with the /4 option to format as
> >        a 360K disc, of course) canNOT be read in about 1/3 of the 360K
> >        drives when a 1.2M drive also writes the data to the disc, but
> >     a 360K disc formatted in a 360K drive and written to by a 1.2M drive
> >        can NEARLY always be read in a 360K drive.

> I would disagree with the above entirely. The above rules are either
> accidentally reversed or a recipe for disaster.  Disks made on 360k
> drives should NEVER be written to with a 1.2 Meg drive if you want
> to subsequently be able to read them on a 360K drive again (unless you

	[theoretical explanation deleted]

This is all very fine in theory.  In *practice*, however, our experience
matches that of the original poster!

Could there be something wrong with the theory?
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!dgis!bms-at!stuart>

burton@parcvax.UUCP (12/11/86)

The reason that theory apparently is contradicted by the "facts" is that the
design of a floppy disk drive includes lots of slop for the distortions in
the media caused by temperature and humidity.  If you are doing interchange
with other systems in the same area as the original system, you eliminate
most of the slop causes.

Phil Burton

Xerox Corp.

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (12/15/86)

> > I would disagree with the above entirely. The above rules are either
> > accidentally reversed or a recipe for disaster.  Disks made on 360k
> > drives should NEVER be written to with a 1.2 Meg drive if you want
> > to subsequently be able to read them on a 360K drive again (unless you
>
> This is all very fine in theory.  In *practice*, however, our experience
> matches that of the original poster!
>
> Could there be something wrong with the theory?

There is nothing wrong with the theory.  80 track drives have a narrower
erase/record track than 40 track disks in general.  However, many newer
40 track hald height drives probably use improved heads which are somewherwhere
in between the performance of older 40 track and old/new 80 track.  Just
because it works probably means you are having a run of luck. Sooner or
later it will run out.  You have been warned.

Mike Gingell   ....decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!mjg

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (12/15/86)

> > I would disagree with the above entirely. The above rules are either
> > accidentally reversed or a recipe for disaster.  Disks made on 360k
> > drives should NEVER be written to with a 1.2 Meg drive if you want
> > to subsequently be able to read them on a 360K drive again (unless you
>
> 	[theoretical explanation deleted]
>
> This is all very fine in theory.  In *practice*, however, our experience
> matches that of the original poster!
>
> Could there be something wrong with the theory?

We have an IBM PC/AT, a Zenith and NCR AT compatible.  None of these
machines reliably writes to 360K disks.  Sometimes it will work, but sooner
or later the people that do it come to me to get their blown disks fixed.
Usually after the disk starts exhibiting problems it can't be recovered
so all of the data is destroyed.  The last thing we need are drives that
destroy data.  As far as the 1.2 meg drives go, I have difficulty getting
them to read 1.2 meg disks created by another machine, both of the same
brand and especially from machines of different brands.  I have put
warning labels on our machines to the effect that data will be destroyed
if 360K disks are used on 1.2 meg drives (reading is OK, of course, but
if you write to them, sooner or later you will have trouble).

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax