[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Do hard cards work in PC's?

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (12/12/86)

One of my coworkers has an old IBM PC (not an XT) that he is trying to
add a hard card to.  At first the drive appeared to work OK, but then he
started seeing parity check errors.  Diagnostics showed random flakey
memory errors.  He replaced the power supply with a 150W unit.  The
power on self test now reports error number 131.  Diagnostics report the
same error.  The error persists even with the hard card out of the
system.  The system has 256K on the mother board.  The hard card has a
20Mb drive, but I don't have the brand handy.

It looks to me like the next step is to verify that the system works
without the hard card and with the original power supply, and then try
it with a different 150W supply and the hard card in.  My question for
the net is: Is there anything other than power that one needs to watch
out for when adding a hard card to a PC?  Has anyone out there had
similar problems?

If you have any suggestions, please e-mail directly to me.  I will
summarize if anything significant turns up.

Thanks
Paul

Paul L. Allen                           | "Look out, men! He's armed!"
Boeing Advanced Technology Center       |        "I've got a cheese grater,
POB 24346 M/S 7L-44,                    |        and I'm not afraid to use it!"
Seattle, WA, USA 98124                  | "Don't make it any harder
(206) 865-3207                          | on yourself, kid! Drop it!"
...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!paula      |        "Eat mozzarella, copper!"

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (A Kacker) (12/15/86)

In article <24@bcsaic.UUCP> paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) writes:
>One of my coworkers has an old IBM PC (not an XT) that he is trying to
>add a hard card to.  At first the drive appeared to work OK, but then he
>started seeing parity check errors.  Diagnostics showed random flakey
>memory errors.  He replaced the power supply with a 150W unit.  The
>power on self test now reports error number 131.  Diagnostics report the

I have some questions along the same lines. We have two IBM PC's in
our office for the secreteries to use. One of them is a PC and the other
an XT. We bought an Omega Hard Card 20 for each machine and started having
strange problems. On the XT which had a Paradise card and an Amdek monitor,
the screen would sometimes just go blank and the computer would lock up
and the only alternative would be to power up again.  We used another
Graphics card and another monitor and still had the same problem.
The problem it seems was that the hard card was in the slot next to the
Graphics card and the interaction between them was causing the blackouts.
Well, when we had that problem fixed, we started getting occasional
Drive C: not recognized errors. If we turned the machine off and then on
again Drive C: would be just fine. We had this problem on both Hard Cards.
The dealer told us that Omega had come out with a newer model and replaced
our drives with the new ones. This was last Friday and we had the Drive C:
error again once.

My question is this. Does anyone have any experience with the Omega Hard
Cards and would know why we are experiencing this intermittent problems ?

            atheism all the way!!
Atul Kacker
UUCP    : {allegra|seismo|decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!akk2

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (12/15/86)

In article <899@ur-tut.UUCP>, akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (A Kacker) writes:

> My question is this. Does anyone have any experience with the Omega Hard
> Cards and would know why we are experiencing this intermittent problems ?

We bought (the original) Hardcard from Plus Development (10MB -- they now
have both 10MB and 20MB versions) about a year ago.  We installed it in an
IBM Portable PC and have used it without any errors of any kind since that
time, carting it on airplanes etc. many times.  It was not the cheapest
one available, but had a good press.  It still has, in my opinion.  They
spent several years developing it, designing it so it occupied only one
slot (not 1-1/2, which would not work in a Portable) and used so little
power it could be added to the original PC without problems.

Maybe you could sell yours and buy one that works better ...

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin