[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Program rentals - an invitation to piracy?

dmt@mtunb.UUCP (Dave Tutelman) (12/13/86)

I just received a flyer in the mail that looks like an invitation to
software piracy.  Thought I'd post this, at least for amusement value.
I'll quote it in appropriate places; please note that I'm not
deliberately quoting out of context, but trying to give a sense of the context.

The BIG PRINT says "IBM SOFTWARE    $10/Disk".  They give an 800-number and
claim to take credit card and COD offers.  Then comes the list of software.
All three pages of fine print.  Includes such goodies as;
	Lotus 123 V2.0
	Microsoft C v.3
	IBM Macro Assembler V.2.0
	COPYIIPC	(the gods DO have a sense of humor)
	Turbo Pascal V3.0
	Word Perfect
You get the idea.  I looked for almost no expensive (or otherwise) package
without finding it.

Then they offered the SPECIALS!  Get 10 and get another 10 free.  Order by
Dec 13 and get $20 off.  (That adds up to $4 per disk.)

A single sheet tucked in the back indicated what was REALLY going on.
The disks are "for rent".  Suddenly, the SOFTSAVE CATALOG talked about in
the flyer becomes "The Softsave Preview Club".  You are not supposed to
keep the disks beyond 21 days.  However, the usual burglar tools (like
COPYIIPC) aren't needed to violate the agreement. In fact, violation is
passive and undetected; NOT pirating the software requires more effort.
"Members are not inconvenienced by having to return the rented software
to the club.  They are simply asked to erase the software on their own
before expiration of the 21 day rental period."

"We do not provide documentation.  However, in many cases the ... manuals
are not required.  The most popular ... programs are represented by many
books available in computer/book stores.  These books generally explain
the operation of the programs better than the original documentation."

Softsave takes two steps in the direction of preventing prosecution:
   1.	They request you to mail in a signed form that says, in part,
	"The member expressly agrees that the member's sole purpose in
	renting the software is for preview prior to purchasing....
	agrees to erase or destroy all rented software within 21 days
	of each rental."
   2.	They have located outside the US borders.

Yes, I know they've done nothing illegal.  (I am not sure of the legality
of rental of software, or of the agreements they may have with the software
manufacturers; I am simply assuming their own business is legal.  That in
itself may well be contrary to fact.)  They are paying lip service to
the notion that their customers do nothing illegal either.  But one feels
a big wink behind every warning in the mailing.

Happy holidays!
				Dave Tutelman

stuart@bms-at.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (12/16/86)

In article <800@mtunb.UUCP>, dmt@mtunb.UUCP (Dave Tutelman) writes:

> "Members are not inconvenienced by having to return the rented software
> to the club.  They are simply asked to erase the software on their own
> before expiration of the 21 day rental period."

> "We do not provide documentation.  However, in many cases the ... manuals
> are not required.  The most popular ... programs are represented by many
> books available in computer/book stores.  These books generally explain
> the operation of the programs better than the original documentation."

My feeling is that a software rental company should:

	a) rent only original disks with original documentation and
	backup copies.  The originals help keep people honest.  The
	backup copies would actually be used.

	b) require a deposit in case of loss or damage (although most
	software companies will replace a damaged original disk for
	a nominal fee).  Originals, backups and documentation must be returned
	at the end of the rental period.

	c) keep enough paid for originals around to satisfy the demand.
	Thus, the publisher is getting paid for N users if there are
	enough copies for N rentals to be outstanding.

	d) charge enough to cover replacement for wear and tear plus
	overhead and profit.

Sleazy companies like the one quoted above are essentially stealing from the
software publishers.

Unfortunately, an honest company would have trouble charging competitive
prices compared a sleazy one.  Therefore such sleazy activity
should be illegal.  I think that software publishers should be the
ones to attempt legal action.  They are ones who stand to lose.
This is one area where Lotus and Ashton-tate should cooperate!

I think that the law should require that only paid-for originals
may be 'rented'.  Copies may be used only for backup purposes and

	a) may not be transferred to another party while retaining
	posession of the originals.

		and

	b) *must* be transferred to another party or destroyed when
	the original is sold or rented.

P.S.
	I detest copy protection.  It's not so much the backup, it's having
to stick a stupid diskette in drive A on an otherwise all hard disk system.
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!dgis!bms-at!stuart>