[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MicroPort System V/AT info wanted

scott@scirtp.UUCP (Scott Crenshaw) (12/09/86)

I'd appreciate any comments from users on MicroPort's
System V/AT.

Has anyone tried running this on an AT clone ?

Thanks very much ,

--
	   Scott Crenshaw		{akgua,decvax}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!scott
	   SCI Systems , Inc. 		Research Triangle Park, NC

dan@prairie.UUCP (Daniel M. Frank) (12/11/86)

In article <688@scirtp.UUCP> scott@scirtp.UUCP (Scott Crenshaw) writes:
>I'd appreciate any comments from users on MicroPort's
>System V/AT.
>Has anyone tried running this on an AT clone ?

   I run it on a Compaq Deskpro 286.  Works very well.  I understand that
there have been some hard disk installation problems on particularly oddball
clones; these seem to be the exception rather than the rule, and Microport
is trying to fix the problems right now.  Your best bet might be to call
them (800-722-8649) and ask about your particular clone.

   How about some general comments from other Microport users?  I do some
occasional work for Microport, so my evaluation might be considered
biased (if only you knew!).

--
    Dan Frank
    uucp: ... uwvax!prairie!dan

neighorn@percival.UUCP (Steve Neighorn) (12/14/86)

In article <688@scirtp.UUCP> scott@scirtp.UUCP (Scott Crenshaw) writes:
>I'd appreciate any comments from users on MicroPort's
>System V/AT.
>Has anyone tried running this on an AT clone ?

I have been running Microport SYS V/AT for about 3 months. The system is a
QIC Research '286 machine running at 8Mhz/0 wait states. One Seagate 4051
is devoted to holding the OS. I have had generally good luck with the system.
Thanks to help from people on the net, my printer now works great - LPT1: =
/dev/lp1 (what does /dev/lp0 do?). A new kernel update has fixed my very
annoying screen scroll problem with my EGA card. The same update included a
much improved uucico program along with a 'dialinfo' file (works with cu
too), and upgraded fdisk and divvy programs, that appear to be able to handle
just about any hard disk, BIOS support or not. Microport includes DOSDIR and
DOSCP so going back and forth to msdos formatted disks is no problem. Just
about everything that compiles under SCO Xenix compiles under V/AT. I haven't
got news v2.11 yet, but I amthisclose.

I could talk all day about V/AT, so instead of filling /spool directories, ask
any specific questions and I will answer them if I can. I also would be glad to
help with any collection of help/hint/bug_reports/etc regarding V/AT. Let's
get something going! I don't get news on my own machine yet, but I can be
reached via the address listed in my signature.

--
Steven C. Neighorn                tektronix!{psu-cs,reed}!qiclab!neighorn
Portland Public Schools      "Where we train young Star Fighters to defend the

plocher@puff.WISC.EDU (John Plocher) (12/16/86)

(Scott Crenshaw) writes:
> >I'd appreciate any comments from users on MicroPort's System V/AT.

Dan Frank reports:
>    I run it on a Compaq Deskpro 286.  Works very well.

I just brought it up on a Kammerman Labs AT (1MB, 40Mdisk)
It is GREAT, but I'd recomend having more than 1MB ram.  Try 2+ Mb.

I like it, and after using it for all of 24 hours (straight!) I have
the following observations:
    I'm addicted to the virtual terminals (4 screens on the console.
      log on as root on one, yourself on others, who needs job control?)
    The setup and instalation is much better than Xenix (which was
     what I was using till last night...)
    My 40Mb Quantum is now really 40Mb and NOT 32M as Xenix required.

on the minus side:
    it seems slow.  vi(1) takes 12 to 15 seconds to come up
      with the    "filename"  lines/chars   message (4 seconds under Xenix),
    there are no docs for csh(1), although it is included,
    csh(1) has a bug with environment variables:
	the shell script
	    setenv USER john
	    echo $USER
	produces an error stating that USER is an undefined variable!
    the system does not have utilities to add/remove users automatically,
    the manuals are printed (photocopied?) onto small pages with small type
    and cramed into thick binders.  The runtime binder is unwieldy!

Don't take me wrong; I like SYSV from MicroPort!  If you order it, be sure
to ask for the link kit so you can customize your kernel!

	HINT Microport:

	   Break out the docs into at least the following bindings:
				      -----

Runtime	   1) Instalation and initiation
	   2) Sections (1) and (7)

	   3) Sections (2), (3) .. (6)
PWB	   4) Programming tools (cc, make, yacc, sccs, as ...)
	   5) Programming libraries (curses, stdio,...)

DWB	   6) Text Preperation

	ADD A USABLE CROSS-REFERENCED INDEX!

--
"Don't go to Pluto, its a Mickey Mouse planet!" - Mork
------------	{harvard,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!uwhsms!plocher        (work)

asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) (12/16/86)

In article <307@percival.UUCP>, neighorn@percival.UUCP (Steve Neighorn) writes:
> In article <688@scirtp.UUCP> scott@scirtp.UUCP (Scott Crenshaw) writes:
> >I'd appreciate any comments from users on MicroPort's System V/AT.

>       ... what does /dev/lp0 do?

It is the character special device for LPT2.

> I haven't > got news v2.11 yet, but I amthisclose.

I am doing this followup on my chop-suey clone running V/AT 1.3.6, 2.11 news
with patch #1.  If you have any specific questions about getting 'connected'
with news I can help you.

BTW I am interested in any documentation/hints about using the 'new'
dialinfo scripts.  The Run-time book does not seem to have it.

> --
> Steven C. Neighorn                tektronix!{psu-cs,reed}!qiclab!neighorn
> Portland Public Schools      "Where we train young Star Fighters to defend the
> (503) 249-2000 ext 337           frontier against Xur and the Ko-dan Armada"

--
May the farce be with you.
J.R. Stoner	asgard@cpro.uucp

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (12/17/86)

IN article <411@puff.WISC.EDU>, plocher@puff.WISC.EDU (John Plocher) wrote:
> I just brought it up on a Kammerman Labs AT (1MB, 40Mdisk)
> It is GREAT, but I'd recomend having more than 1MB ram.  Try 2+ Mb.

Mine runs on a PC's Ltd. /AT, as generic as they come.  Two hard disks, with
drive 0 being partitioned 14meg for DOS and 16meg for unix.

>     My 40Mb Quantum is now really 40Mb and NOT 32M as Xenix required.

My Rodime became a 32meg disk after having been a 30meg for months...  For
the uninformed, uPort lets you specify the number of heads and track, and
all of the other numbers about a drive.  You've not limited to drive type
tables or any other such nonsense.

> on the minus side:
>     it seems slow.  vi(1) takes 12 to 15 seconds to come up
>       with the    "filename"  lines/chars   message (4 seconds under Xenix),

You don't have enough RAM.  As you note above, 2meg is a good number.  I have
three, and run it with 800K dedicated to disk buffer space.  Runs like a
charm.  I also have the sticky bit set on vi and sh.

>     there are no docs for csh(1), although it is included;
>     csh(1) has a bug with environment variables:

The October 23rd release notes with v1.36 indicate that csh(1) and more(1)
are preliminary.  more.help was not delivered either, but less is better
anyway.

> [...] does not have utilities to add/remove users automatically.

I'm looking for a newuser program in good shape to put on my system.  As a
side effect it would do what you want above.  Anyone have a working newuser
program on uPort yet?

> If you order it, be sure
> to ask for the link kit so you can customize your kernel!

In particular, increase the number of inode table entries.  It defaults to
50.  I've increased it to 75 and haven't had any more complaints from the
kernel.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!ut-ngp!utastro!bigtex!james    "Live Free or Die"
Voice: (512)-323-2675  Modem: (512)-323-2773  5300B McCandless, Austin TX 78756