[comp.sys.ibm.pc] fdisk partition

ccv@lambda.UUCP (Curt Villars) (12/12/86)

I need some help with my ibm at.
I just inherited an ibm at, that has
the fixed disk partitioned.  the problem is that
the fixed disk (68 meg) is partitioned: 20 meg for dos
and the rest for xenix.

i don't need xenix, and i need more than 20 meg for dos.

how do i go about releasing the hard disk from xenix
and increasing the dos partition?

Thanks,

Curt Villars
!bellcore!gamma!ccv

romwa@utcs.UUCP (12/17/86)

>I need some help with my ibm at.
>I just inherited an ibm at, that has
>the fixed disk partitioned.  the problem is that
>the fixed disk (68 meg) is partitioned: 20 meg for dos
>and the rest for xenix.
>
>i don't need xenix, and i need more than 20 meg for dos.
>
>how do i go about releasing the hard disk from xenix
>and increasing the dos partition?

I have had to switch from XENIX to DOS a couple of times.
Short of using DEBUG and doing a low level format of the
fixed disk, you can boot XENIX from the distribution
floppies and run fdisk from there to wipe out the XENIX
partition.  Stop the installation program at that point
and boot up DOS and begin with fdisk there.  The disk
should be clean.

Good Luck

berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA (12/18/86)

To start with, you should be aware that the PC-DOS device drivers
won't accomodate a disk bigger than 30 megabytes.  You need some-
body elses' software to really take advantage of the larger disk.
One program that will work is the Golden Bow Systems Vfeature
Deluxe, which lets you use disks up to 256 meg, logically address
separate drives as a single volume, or make one drive into several
logical volumes.

news@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Usenet netnews) (12/18/86)

From: tim@tomcat.Caltech.Edu (Tim Kay)

>>the fixed disk (68 meg) is partitioned: 20 meg for dos
>>and the rest for xenix.
>>i don't need xenix, and i need more than 20 meg for dos.

You might try Vfeature from Golden Bow Systems, $80.  Apparently
the package allows you to use different disk partitions as different
disks (C: and D:).  I have been told that you could leave the 20 M
partition untouched but reformat the xenix partition as your D: disk.

Their Vfeature Deluxe ($120) allows you to break the
32 Megabyte limit, so you could use the 68 M disk as a single disk.
This is probably more than you need, and you might have to reformat
the whole disk to do it this way.  I don't know.

	Golden Bow Systems
	2870 Fifth Ave., Suite 201
	San Diego, CA  92103
	619/298-9349

Timothy L. Kay				tim@csvax.caltech.edu
Department of Computer Science
Caltech, 256-80
Pasadena, CA  91125

michael@orcisi.UUCP (12/18/86)

> You might try Vfeature from Golden Bow Systems, $80.  Apparently
> the package allows you to use different disk partitions as different
> disks (C: and D:).  I have been told that you could leave the 20 M
> partition untouched but reformat the xenix partition as your D: disk.

Something similar is available from Mountain Computer, Inc. for
their hard disks.  Its called the "Mountain Hard Disk Utilities".

	Mountain Computer, Inc.
	300 El Pueblo Rd.
	Scotts Valley, CA  95066
	(408) 438-6650