[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm and Kermit

bamford@ihlpg.UUCP (Harold E. Bamford) (12/17/86)

>	Would someone please explain (in full detail) to me how to get
>Procomm 2.4 to do Kermit transfers. I can get Xmodem to work fine, I can
>get Kermit to Kermit to work fine, I just can't get Procomm to Kermit to
>work...

Something that helps is just before starting the Procomm kermit, change
the port parameters to 8 bits, no parity (use Alt-P).  Immediately after
the transfer, you will have to change the parameters back or unix will
spew garbage at you.

--
				Harold Bamford
				AT&T Bell Labs

berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA (12/19/86)

You might be better off setting to 7 data bits, 1 stop bit, and
SPACE parity.  Then you may not have to switch parameters back
and forth.  ProComm seems to always use 8th bit quoting in
kermit transfers.

tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) (12/20/86)

In article <2661@ihlpg.UUCP>, bamford@ihlpg.UUCP (Harold E. Bamford) writes:
> >get Kermit to Kermit to work fine, I just can't get Procomm to Kermit to
> >work...
>
> Something that helps is just before starting the Procomm kermit, change
> the port parameters to 8 bits, no parity (use Alt-P).  Immediately after
> the transfer, you will have to change the parameters back or unix will
> spew garbage at you.

not being a comm expert, But, I thought that the main attraction of
Kermit was that it auto-corrected 7 vs 8 bit discrepancies,
allowing hassle-free transfers between otherwise incompatible
systems.

Incidentally, I always use Kermit for Mainframe xfers for this very
reason, and Kermit anywhere else the other end has it.

--
    -----                   Terry Sterkel
  -====----            AT&T Bell Laboratories

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (12/23/86)

/* Written 11:43 am  Dec 19, 1986 by berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA in uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
ProComm seems to always use 8th bit quoting in
kermit transfers.

/* End of text from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */

    huh?  with setting N-8-1, procomm doesn't quote.
    8th-bit-quoting has a dramatic (undesirable) effect on transfer time
for binary files.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink: w hamilton