[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Chinese DOS for the IBM PC

allanon@hope.UUCP (Kenneth Leung) (12/20/86)

   For anyone who is interested. I just received a package from
a Company that makes a version of MSDOS for entry in Chinese.
It allows entry of characters as commands with 5 different entry
methods. It requires a monochrome graphics card or a color graphics
card and is all in one disk. It was kind of cute for demostration
(cant think of any use of it unless you want something printed
in chinese).
   The company's address is :
      STAR PAGING (CHINESE COMPUTER) LTD.
      3/F., Hong Kong Trade Centre
      161 -167 Des Voeux Road C.,
      Central, Hong Kong
      Cable: 8168
      telex : 50231 SPACO HX

Disclaimer : I am in no way affiliated with the company above etc etc..

-ken

UUCP:   {ucbvax!ucdavis,sdcsvax,ucivax}!ucrmath!hope!allanon
ARPA:   ucrmath!hope!allanon@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
UUPC:   root@despair      (User to Unix Personal computer)  :-)

kuo@skatter.UUCP (12/26/86)

In article <1018@hope.UUCP>, allanon@hope.UUCP (Kenneth Leung) writes:

>    For anyone who is interested. I just received a package from
> a Company that makes a version of MSDOS for entry in Chinese.
> It allows entry of characters as commands with 5 different entry
> methods. It requires a monochrome graphics card or a color graphics
> card and is all in one disk. It was kind of cute for demostration
> (cant think of any use of it unless you want something printed
> in chinese).
>    The company's address is :
>       STAR PAGING (CHINESE COMPUTER) LTD.
>       3/F., Hong Kong Trade Centre
>       161 -167 Des Voeux Road C.,
>       Central, Hong Kong
>       Cable: 8168
>       telex : 50231 SPACO HX
>
> Disclaimer : I am in no way affiliated with the company above etc etc..
>
> -ken
>
> UUCP:   {ucbvax!ucdavis,sdcsvax,ucivax}!ucrmath!hope!allanon
> ARPA:   ucrmath!hope!allanon@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
> UUPC:   root@despair      (User to Unix Personal computer)  :-)

I got the same demo package. I had a quick look and it and found that it came
with IBM PC DOS v2.10 on it! Isn't this illegal?! They claim their system is
called SPDOS and they send you an PC DOS disk.

Also, I see no great use to this system except, as Ken pointed out above,
looks neat. I should also point out that the Chinese characters it prints
out is NOT the "normal" Chinese characters; they are "simplified" style that
is mainly used in the People's Republic of China.

This package seems to take IBM's extended ASCII character sets and run them
through a program and does the Chinese characters using graphics.

Peter Kuo                               Bitnet/Jnet: KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory                         uucp: !ihnp4!sask!skatter!kuo
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse)
Univ. of Saskatchewan
Saskatoon, Sask. CANADA  S7N 0W0

[Disclaimer: all the standard stuff.]