[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS-DOS Versions

wolfordj@ihlpa.UUCP (wolford) (12/04/86)

With the current discussion about MS-DOS verions, what version
of MS-DOS supports greater than 640K on a AT or AT compatible.

I remember reading an article about the different versions of
MS-DOS but can not place where I read it,  Is there a magazine
article that explains about the different versions of MS-DOS

A person new to MS-DOS and AT's

Jeff Wolford
ihnp4!iwsag!jww

karamich@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu (12/04/86)

>/* ---------- "MS-DOS Versions" ---------- */
>With the current discussion about MS-DOS verions, what version
>of MS-DOS supports greater than 640K on a AT or AT compatible.
>
>I remember reading an article about the different versions of
>MS-DOS but can not place where I read it,  Is there a magazine
>article that explains about the different versions of MS-DOS

No version of DOS on the market (MS or PC) that i know of will allow >640K.
You can use the memory above 640K on an AT as a RAM disk or to store the
transient portion of COMMAND.COM, though. But in PC-WEEK (October, 28)
headlines read: Breakthrough seen on New '286 Operating System.

It's called 286DOS from Microsoft (of course) and it will be able to take
advantage of the 16 Megabyte addressing capability of the 80286 in its
protected mode.

----
Tom Karamichos

BITNET:	karamich@uiucuxc.bitnet
ARPA:	karamich@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
CSNET:	karamich@uiucuxc.csnet
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!karamich

 Women -- you can't live without them, you can't shoot them!

wb8foz@ncoast.UUCP (David Lesher) (12/08/86)

> Article <174200005@uiucuxc> From: karamich@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
| No version of DOS on the market (MS or PC) that i know of will allow >640K.
DEC Rainbows running MS-DOS have up to 896k of RAM.

--

		      decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!wb8foz
			ncoast!wb8foz@case.csnet

    	         		"SERIOUS?
		Bones, it could upset the entire percentage!"

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (12/11/86)

In article <1793@ncoast.UUCP> wb8foz@ncoast.UUCP (David Lesher) writes:
>> Article <174200005@uiucuxc> From: karamich@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
>| No version of DOS on the market (MS or PC) that i know of will allow >640K.
>DEC Rainbows running MS-DOS have up to 896k of RAM.

   Go Rainbows!... :-)

   Here's an example... Using the Jay Jervey CHKMEM program:

CHKMEM V1.0 (c) 1985 by Jay Jervey

917,504 = 896K bytes total system memory
262,144 = 256K bytes allocated to RAM disk
 51,344 =  51K bytes occupied program space
604,016 = 589K bytes free program space from 307K to 896K

   AND, on top of the 896K, you have 8K RAM for screen memory, ~56K for ROMs
and non-volatile RAM, and a ~64K gap with nothing in it (could have been
filled if DEC or someone made a bigger RAM board)...all of this memory
is addressable (except the gap, of course).

   And, to top it off, there is another 32K of indirectly-addressable RAM
dedicated to the graphics board.  It's off the main bus and this can be
an advantage or a disadvantage depending on the application.  I think the
main reason for this was to allow CP/M-80 applications to access the
graphics board which was above the 64K boundary.

   Just puttin' my two cents in...

   Alan

                                   alan i. vymetalik
   uucp:    {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
   Prism Software Designs,   646-1 University Avenue
   Rochester, New York, 14607-1232    (716)-461-2446
   Greater Rochester Area Local Users Group (GRALUG)
   Vice-Chairman      Rainbow Special Interest Forum

herman@ti-csl.CSNET (Herman Schuurman) (12/12/86)

>> Article <174200005@uiucuxc> From: karamich@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
> | No version of DOS on the market (MS or PC) that i know of will allow >640K.
> DEC Rainbows running MS-DOS have up to 896k of RAM.

TI Professional Computers running MS-DOS have up to 768k of RAM.  The
only limit that MS-DOS puts on the memory size is the 8088 1MByte limit,
although most machines running MS-DOS have some form of dedicated
memory (such as ROM and display memory) in the upper address space.

--
Herman Schuurman 	ARPA:  herman%TI-CSL@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Texas Instruments Inc.	CSNET: herman@TI-CSL

markd@wolf.UUCP (Mark Divecchio) (12/12/86)

In article <1793@ncoast.UUCP>, wb8foz@ncoast.UUCP (David Lesher) writes:
> > Article <174200005@uiucuxc> From: karamich@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
> | No version of DOS on the market (MS or PC) that i know of will allow >640K.
> DEC Rainbows running MS-DOS have up to 896k of RAM.

I have a short program which I got on a Bulletin Board which lets me use
DOS and up to 704K of memory as long as you don't have an EGA. The 640K
limitation seems to be an IBM PC limitation not a MSDOS limitation.
--
---------------------------------
Mark C. DiVecchio 10435 Mountain Glen Terrace, San Diego, CA 92131

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (12/13/86)

TallTree systems programs for JRAM boards (jdrive.bin) has a 704K
option.

--Mike Volow
  mvolo@ecsvax

tom@vrdxhq.UUCP (Tom Welsh) (12/15/86)

> I have a short program which I got on a Bulletin Board which lets me use
> DOS and up to 704K of memory as long as you don't have an EGA. The 640K
> limitation seems to be an IBM PC limitation not a MSDOS limitation.
> --

The Intel 8088, 8086, 80186, 80286 (in real address mode), and 80386 (in
8086 mode) all support up to 1 megabyte of addressing.

The 640k limitation in the PC is caused by the fact that the PC manufacturers
chose to use certain areas for display adapters, ROM cartridges, etc.

Here's the memory map for 1 MB PC family, per Peter Norton's book ...

Starting address      contents

0xF0000               Permanent ROM area (BIOS, BASIC, diagnostics)
0xE0000               Cartridge ROM
0xD0000               Cartridge ROM
0xC0000               BIOS Extensions (XT disk)
0xB0000               Conventional display memory (PC, XT, AT)
0xA0000               Display memory expansion
0x90000               Working RAM (addresses are 576k through 640k-1)
0x80000               Working RAM (addresses are 512k through 576k-1)
0x70000               Working RAM (addresses are 448k through 512k-1)
0x60000               Working RAM (addresses are 384k through 448k-1)
0x50000               Working RAM (addresses are 329k through 384k-1)
0x40000               Working RAM (addresses are 256k through 320k-1)
0x30000               Working RAM (addresses are 192k through 256k-1)
0x20000               Working RAM (addresses are 128k through 192k-1)
0x10000               Working RAM (addresses are 64k through 128k-1)
0x00000               Working RAM (addresses are 0 through 64k-1) (used
                      by system software (BIOS,DOS) for work area

kim@amdahl.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (12/16/86)

In article <9789@ti-csl.CSNET>, herman@ti-csl.CSNET (Herman Schuurman) writes:

> >> Article <174200005@uiucuxc> From: karamich@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
> > | No version of DOS on the market (MS or PC) that i know of will allow >640K.
> > DEC Rainbows running MS-DOS have up to 896k of RAM.
>
> TI Professional Computers running MS-DOS have up to 768k of RAM.  The
> only limit that MS-DOS puts on the memory size is the 8088 1MByte limit,
> although most machines running MS-DOS have some form of dedicated
> memory (such as ROM and display memory) in the upper address space.

My Fujitsu Micro-16s (MS-DOS 2.11) can utilize the full 1 Meg.  The
Fuji machine does all it's I/O using real "in" and "out" instructions.
The I/O address space that's used goes to 256 bytes of dual ported RAM,
which is picked-up on the other side by a 6809 micro that the box uses for
it's I/O Processor.  The 6809 has it's own 80k of RAM for buffers, graphics
primatives, etc, and handles the tube, keyboard, RS-232 ports, timers, etc.

Sure unloads alot of overhead from the 8-MHz 8086 CPU, which is one reason
the performance of the machine is so good when compared to PClones.  It
also means that most s/w that uses other than MS-DOS system calls won't
run ... or at least it wouldn't until a creative fellow up in Alaska
developed a board that provides ~95% PClone compatibility!  E-mail me if
you are interested in this board (for Fuji's only).

/kim

--
UUCP:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,seismo,oliveb,cbosgd}!amdahl!kim
DDD:   408-746-8462

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

vanzandt@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/17/86)

	So, if I have an AT clone with a 286 in it, an EGA board with its
own 256k, and 1 meg of RAM, what can I use the extra 384k for and how do
you access it?

Lonnie.

+=============================================================================+
|       arpa		vanzandt@p.cs.uiuc.edu   vanzandt@uiuc.ARPA	      |
|       csnet		vanzandt@uiuc.csnet				      |
|       usenet		ihnp4!uiucdcs!vanzandt				      |
+=============================================================================+

pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Grant A. Prellwitz) (12/22/86)

In article <1793@ncoast.UUCP> wb8foz@ncoast.UUCP (David Lesher) writes:
>> Article <174200005@uiucuxc> From: karamich@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
>| No version of DOS on the market (MS or PC) that i know of will allow >640K.
>DEC Rainbows running MS-DOS have up to 896k of RAM.

yes, the computer has greater than 640Kb, but then so do many 386 machines.
that doesn't mean that al MS/PC-DOS can use it.  The Kaypro PC series
comes with 768Kb (as do probably a number of machines out there) but the top
128Kb is used as a RAM drive by software that comes with the machine.  In
order to use more than the 640Kb, you need to use a driver of some sort;
I believe that's ow it's done with the new extended memory, as well.

    Grant Prellwitz
    !ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1

ddw@calmasd.CALMA.UUCP (Dave Wasilew) (12/23/86)

In article <75800008@uiucdcsp> vanzandt@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>	So, if I have an AT clone with...1 meg of RAM, what can I use
>the extra 384k for and how do own 256k, and you access it?

I have my AT set up as 640K + 384K.  The upper 384K is used as a disk
cache to make disk accesses go faster.  Basically, if something is to
come off of disk and it is currently in cache then the cache driver
pulls it from memory rather than making a disk access.  If you do lots
of little things, like using DOS commands, then this will speed up
thing a lot.  If you use big things like spreadsheets, or compilers
then it probably won't help much.  RAMDISK.SYS can be used or use one
of the many PD caches available via bulliten boards.

...Dave Wasilew

elwell@osu-eddie.UUCP (Clayton M. Elwell) (12/27/86)

ARGH!!!

Maybe all that eggnog is addling some of the brains out there...

It's not MS-DOS or PC-DOS that limits you to 640K, it's the IBM video card.

The scene is Boca Raton...
"Hey, Joe? Where should I put the video buffer?"
"How about the middle of the address space? That way we'll have room for lots
of nonexistent ROM expansions!"
"Great, I'll do it!"

In any case, I have run vanilla PC-DOS (no mods) with 960K of RAM available
for normal program memory.  Hint: It wasn't exactly on an IBM...

Computers will never replace the			Clayton Elwell
wastebasket when it comes to			Elwell@Ohio-State.ARPA
streamlining office work.		   ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!elwell