[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Clipper/MS C Linking

swatson@tetra.UUCP (Steven B. Watson) (12/24/86)

Has anyone successfully used the Clipper compiler and plink86 to link
clipper object files with object files produced by MS C 4.0?

Steve Watson
Computer Sciences Corp.
4045 Hancock St.
San Diego,  Ca. 92002
(619) 225-8401
swatson@NOSC.ARPA

jsm@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu (Jon Meltzer) (12/27/86)

In article <627@tetra.UUCP> swatson@tetra.UUCP (Steven B. Watson) writes:
>Has anyone successfully used the Clipper compiler and plink86 to link
>clipper object files with object files produced by MS C 4.0?

The Clipper support network on the Source has been debating this for months.
I have, somewhere, a hack that is alleged to work with 3.0; can't guarantee
it as I've never used it. Nantucket only supports links to Lattice;
3.1 for the new (Autumn 86) Clipper, 2.15 for older versions.

Try calling the DARWIN bulletin board in Maryland ... 301-251-9206 (best
time is after 1 AM EST, it is *v*e*r*y busy...

Jon Meltzer
Dept. of Modern Languages and Linguistics, Cornell University

vanzandt@uiucdcsp.UUCP (12/28/86)

	Please let me know any results of this as I am a Clipper and an
MSC programmer...

+=============================================================================+
|	Lonnie VanZandt University of Illinois	 Dept. of CS (217) 333-1925   |
|									      |
|       arpa		vanzandt@p.cs.uiuc.edu   vanzandt@uiuc.ARPA	      |
|       csnet		vanzandt@uiuc.csnet				      |
|       usenet		ihnp4!uiucdcs!vanzandt				      |
+=============================================================================+

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (12/29/86)

In <627@tetra.UUCP> swatson@tetra.UUCP (Steven B. Watson) writes:
>Has anyone successfully used the Clipper compiler and plink86 to link
>clipper object files with object files produced by MS C 4.0?

It is impossible.  Those silly people at Nantucket used symbol names
that conflict with those in the MS C libraries.  The wrote Clipper in
Lattice C, so they didn't really notice the incompatibility with MS C
until after release.  They don't seem very interested in fixing this.

If you need to link C modules with Clipper modules, you need to use
Lattice C.  If you need a copy, I have a copy of Lattice 3.1 I'd like to
get rid of.  I'll make you an even swap for your MS 4.0, which I need
another copy of.

--
Mark D. Freeman						    mdf@osu-eddie.uucp