[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC editor wanted

hgcjr@utastro.UUCP (Harold G. Corwin Jr.) (12/18/86)

<>
I'm using DOS 3.1 with an HP Vectra (AT compatible), and
currently use PC-Write, V2.7 -- which will not edit files
larger than 60K.  Working with large files of star and
galaxy data is getting to be a bit of a nuisance.  So, I
am looking for an editor that is a) inexpensive (<~$50),
b) has configurable commands so that I don't have to learn
yet another editor, and c) accepts files up to RAM limits.
The only editor that I know that meets specs (b) and (c)
above is Brief.  But it fails on (a) (list is $200, with
only small discounts available).  Maybe there is a share-
ware editor that might work?  Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!
--
Harold G. Corwin, Jr.
  UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!hgcjr

stevenj@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Steven Vore ) (12/19/86)

In article <1469@utastro.UUCP> hgcjr@utastro.UUCP (Harold G. Corwin Jr.) writes:
>... So, I
>am looking for an editor that is a) inexpensive (<~$50),
>b) has configurable commands so that I don't have to learn
>yet another editor, and c) accepts files up to RAM limits.

I have a copy of a great (my opinion, of course) text editor.  Shareware.
QEDIT - "The Quick Editor"
suggested contribution is $20.
fully redefinable functions - assignable to any keystroke or pair of
keystrokes (ever use Wordstar and still remember ^K D ? you can do that
kind of thing).  File Size limited only by RAM, multiple files at a time (again
limited only by RAM), 2 windows at a time if you want...  I can't say enough
good about it.  And it's FAST.
If you're interested, send me mail with your snail mail address and I'll
send you a copy on 5 1/4 ibm format disk.  or contact the author..

SemWare
c/o Sammy Mitchell
136 Mark Lane
Smyrna, GA  30080
========================

-Steven J. Vore
 stevenj@umbc3.umd.edu

I of course have no affiliation with Mr. Mitchell or his company except
as an Extremely satisfied user of his product.

psfales@ihlpl.UUCP (Peter Fales) (12/21/86)

> galaxy data is getting to be a bit of a nuisance.  So, I
> am looking for an editor that is a) inexpensive (<~$50),
> b) has configurable commands so that I don't have to learn
> yet another editor, and c) accepts files up to RAM limits.
> The only editor that I know that meets specs (b) and (c)

I have used the Mix Editor ($29) which almost meets the requirements.
The only problem is the simplistic way it handles large files -
You have to work through the file from beginning to end writing out
one buffer and reading in the next.  A little inconvenient but
the price is right, and it was the only editor (except EDLIN) that
I could configure to run on my homebrew MS-DOS machine with an ASCII
terminal.

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpl!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

owen@gt-eedsp.UUCP (Owen Adair) (12/24/86)

In article <1469@utastro.UUCP> hgcjr@utastro.UUCP (Harold G. Corwin Jr.) writes:
><>
>b) has configurable commands so that I don't have to learn
>yet another editor, and c) accepts files up to RAM limits.
>The only editor that I know that meets specs (b) and (c)
>above is Brief.  But it fails on (a) (list is $200, with
>only small discounts available).  Maybe there is a share-
>ware editor that might work?  Any help will be appreciated.

YES! I have been using QEDIT from SemWare in Atlanta for a while and it
fulfills your requirements to the tee. It is FAST and has a circular buffer
to edit multiple files, dos shell, fully configurable, is small (~35k), and
is shareware ($25). The documentation is good, and I have yet to find a bug.
The only thing I have found I don't like is that there is no on-line help,
which really isn't that big of a deal. The address is : SemWare , 154 Mark
Lane, Smyrna, GA 30080   .   Hope this is of use!

--
Owen Adair, Digital Signal Processing Lab, Ga. Institute of Technology
uucp ... !{akgua,allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ulysses}!gatech!gt-eedsp!owen

clh@cbrma.att.com (C.Harting) (01/01/87)

[This comes from a friend of mine who doesn't have access to the net.]
IBM has a personal editor (that goes by that name) that meets criteria (b)
and (c) -- definable keys and non-restricted file size.  At about 90 to
100 clams, it violates your cost constraint, but hey...

In Atlanta, you can get it from Inacomp or Nynex (though Inacomp will
dicker).  It will edit/store multiple files to memory capacity, and writes
any overflow to disk cache.  I understand that Version 2 also does windows.

Brian Peabody
Senior Consultant
Ross, DeLany & McGarvey
Marietta, Georgia