[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Who makes array processors for AT

izumi@amber.berkeley.edu (12/16/86)

*

I am looking for array processors for IBM PC/AT (or PC, XT..).
Does anybody make them?  Any info, pointers are appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Izumi Ohzawa
izumi@amber.berkeley.edu
 .. ucbvax!amber!izumi

davej@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Dave Jenner) (12/19/86)

In article <1949@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, izumi@amber.berkeley.edu writes:
> I am looking for array processors for IBM PC/AT (or PC, XT..).
> Does anybody make them?  Any info, pointers are appreciated.
> Thanks in advance!
> Izumi Ohzawa
> izumi@amber.berkeley.edu
>  .. ucbvax!amber!izumi

Sky Computers, Inc.
(714) 474-1940  (West Coast)
(617) 454-6200  (National, MASS)

Makes the 320PC 16-bit, fixed point array processor for the PC/XT (and AT)
using the TI32010 signal processing chip.  There is a (subset) C compiler
to produce 320 native code as well as libraries.

They also make (or are in the processes of making) the VORTEX-2000 floating
point array processor for the AT.

Dave Jenner
Department of Astronomy, FM-20
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
(206) 543-6182

UUCP:     ...uw-beaver!uw-entropy!phastvax!davej
BITNET:   davej@uwaphast
INTERNET: davej@entropy.ms.washington.edu

steveb@zaphod.UUCP (Steve Brozosky) (12/20/86)

A company in San Diego named Marinco has an array processor board.  It uses
the 29116 chip and is running at 8 MIPS.  The board works well but is quite
expensive (I think around $5,000).  Their number is 800)421 4808 in California.

wem@necntc.UUCP (Bill Meshach) (01/01/87)

If you want a "canned" array processor, this is not for you.  But,
if you want a powerful fixed point processor that you can program
yourself, read on.

It's a bit unconventional, but there's a very powerful board
available from:

Data Flow Imaging, Inc.
42 Charles St.
Suite 2-C
Westwood, N.J. 07675
(201) 666-7970

This board plugs into a PC, XT, or AT.  It uses four uPD7281 Data
Flow Processors.  If you can use 17 bit (16 bit magnitude plus sign)
fixed point math, and you can pipeline your algorithms, you should
take a look.  You can use floating point routines, but the hardware is
fixed point.   This thing will do a 16 X 16 matrix times another 16 X 16
matrix in about 3.8 milliseconds (17 bit fixed point numbers) -- not bad
for under $1,000.

The Data Flow Architecture is real neat!

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (01/01/87)

     That data flow engine might make a good graphics rendering unit.
I would like to hear from anyone working in that direction, especially
if they are interested in solid geometric modelling.

					John Nagle
					415-856-0767