[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Personal Editor II

alexande@drivax.UUCP (Mark Alexander) (01/03/87)

In article <5578@cbrma.att.com> clh@cbrma.att.com (C.Harting) writes:
>IBM has a personal editor (that goes by that name) that meets criteria (b)
>and (c) -- definable keys and non-restricted file size.  At about 90 to
>100 clams, it violates your cost constraint, but hey...
>
>In Atlanta, you can get it from Inacomp or Nynex (though Inacomp will
>dicker).  It will edit/store multiple files to memory capacity, and writes
>any overflow to disk cache.  I understand that Version 2 also does windows.

The price for version 2 is actually $50, half the price of version 1.  It
does everything listed above, and is FAST.  You can get it direct
from IBM, like I did.  Write to:
	IBM Personally Developed Software
	P.O. Box 3266
	Wallingford, CT 06494-3280
and ask for their catalog, called "The Directory.", and their special
info sheet on PE2.

I am not in any way affiliated with IBM.  Just a satisfied user of PE
for the last 4 years.

Actually, I now use MicroEMACS instead of PE, but mainly because I've
got it running on 7 different machines, so I don't have to retrain
my fingers every time I switch computers.
--
Mark Alexander		...!{amdahl,ihnp4}!drivax!alexande
"Remember, if you can't find it in Ralph's Pretty Good User Manual,

ward@chinet.UUCP (ward) (01/06/87)

Regarding writing to IBM to obtain PE-II: you can just phone in an order
to 1-800-IBM-PCSW.  You can also request the software catalog "The Directory"
from them.  You may want to get the directory, as there are a lot of nice
programs in there - I ordered 5 my last time.
  Another alternative which you should consider, is Kedit.  It is, like PE,
patterned after IBM's mainframe XEDIT, but is much more powerful.  A mag
review said PE-II was a "best buy", but that Kedit was sufficiently more
powerful to be worth the add'l $$.  KEDIT is available from:
  Mansfield Software Group
  P.O. Box 532
  Storrs CT 06268
  (203) 429-8402.

I work for IBM, and matter of fact use Kedit.

Ward Christensen ihnp4!chinet!ward