[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hard disk

roger@mips.UUCP (Roger March) (01/01/87)

	{Your line eater doesn't work}

	  I bought a Maxtor XT-1065 for my AT clone and could use some
	help in getting it wheezing along. The first order problem is
	that I can't create the partition information on the drive. The
	store where I got the drive said it was type 12, can anybody
	confire this? When I tried FDISK (either DOS or MicroPort's)
	it died reporting a read error, though it seems to be seeking
	correctly when I try MicroPort's FORMAT. Any hints come to mind?
	I've decided to fix the non-working disk problem by bringing
	both my machine and drive to the store and having them at least
	getting it to speak DOS. I'm just sort of curious about why I
	can't get it to work.
	  My real question is that once I have the drive so that it can
	talk DOS, how can I best take advantage of it with MicroPort?
	If the drive really is a type 12, it is limited to 17-512 byte
	sectors because of DOS-edness. This means it looks like a 52Mb
	drive. Since raw device is 65Mb, I would expect to have at least
	60Mb of data after formating. Can I use MicroPort's FDISK utility
	to redefine the number of sectors, and if so, what number is the
	legal maximum? Thanks.

							Roger March
--
-Rogue Monster                                   (also known as Roger March)
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,hplabs}!decwrl!mips!roger

ee161aba@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (David L. Smith) (01/06/87)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: Hard disk (also MicroPort) question ...
In article <809@mips.UUCP> roger@mips.UUCP (Roger March) writes:
>	  I bought a Maxtor XT-1065 for my AT clone and could use some
>	help in getting it wheezing along. The first order problem is
>	that I can't create the partition information on the drive. The
>	store where I got the drive said it was type 12, can anybody
>	confire this? When I tried FDISK (either DOS or MicroPort's)
>	it died reporting a read error, though it seems to be seeking
>	correctly when I try MicroPort's FORMAT. Any hints come to mind?
>	I've decided to fix the non-working disk problem by bringing
>	both my machine and drive to the store and having them at least
>	getting it to speak DOS. I'm just sort of curious about why I
>	can't get it to work.
>
>							Roger March
>--
>-Rogue Monster                                   (also known as Roger March)
>UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,hplabs}!decwrl!mips!roger
>USPS: MIPS Computer Systems, 930 Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086, (408) 991-0220

I recently brought on Microport on my AT.  I continually got a 'sending set
param to clear error bit'  I don't know if this is the same problem you're
having, but anyhow, the fix was a beta test release from Microport.  System
runs quite nicely now.  Call Microport.  They're willing to help and they're
very good about it.  (And, hey, they even know what they're doing)

				Cheers,
				David L. Smith
				{ihnp4, sdcsvax}!sdcc18!ee161aba