[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Trapping DOS error message

jsm@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu (Jon Meltzer) (01/09/87)

I need a way to trap the error message

"Insert diskette for drive A: and strike
 any key when ready"

that appears on single floppy-drive machines.

Any suggestions?

Jon Meltzer
Dept. of Modern Languages and Linguistics
Cornell University

ddrex@gorgo.UUCP (01/13/87)

/* Written 11:00 am  Jan  9, 1987 by jsm@vax1.UUCP in gorgo.UUCP:comp.sy.ibm.pc */
/* ---------- "Trapping DOS error message" ---------- */
I need a way to trap the error message

"Insert diskette for drive A: and strike
 any key when ready"

that appears on single floppy-drive machines.

Any suggestions?

Jon Meltzer
Dept. of Modern Languages and Linguistics
Cornell University
/* End of text from gorgo.UUCP:comp.sy.ibm.pc */

(I would send you mail, but pathalias doesn't seem to know about 'vax1')

Your question is not clear. If your problem is that some software you run
expects to find certain files on the floppy drive, while those files are
actually on the harddisk, you can "fake it out" using the dos 'assign'
command:
	assign a=c
This command makes the A: drive logically become the C: drive; dos will no
longer know about the physical drive A:

The PC version of 'hack' is one of those that wants all its files on floppy;
using 'assign' makes for much less hassle.

geller@eli.UUCP (David P. Geller) (01/15/87)

> I need a way to trap the error message
>
> "Insert diskette for drive A: and strike
>  any key when ready"

You can do this. Look at the list of DOS interupt functions in the
DOS manual. I also think there was a lengthy article written on
DOS interupt handler programming in PC Tech Journal last year. Sorry
for not providing specifics. Just pointers today...

David P. Geller
Electric Logic, Inc.
Washington, D.C.

..!seismo!sundc!eli!geller

jsm@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu (Jon Meltzer) (01/15/87)

In article <58200015@gorgo.UUCP> ddrex@gorgo.UUCP writes:

>/* Written 11:00 am  Jan  9, 1987 by jsm@vax1.UUCP in gorgo.UUCP:comp.sy.ibm.pc */
>/* ---------- "Trapping DOS error message" ---------- */
>I need a way to trap the error message
>
>"Insert diskette for drive A: and strike
> any key when ready"
>
>that appears on single floppy-drive machines.
>/* End of text from gorgo.UUCP:comp.sy.ibm.pc */
>
>Your question is not clear. If your problem is that some software you run
>expects to find certain files on the floppy drive, while those files are
>actually on the harddisk, you can "fake it out" using the dos 'assign'
>command:

No,no. Here's the problem : my program asks the user to put a floppy in a
user-predefined disk drive. On single drive machines,the error message will
occur if the program is looking for the A:, but DOS thinks that the drive is
the B:. The resulting error louses up the program screen design. I can get
around it by redrawing the screen, but would rather trap the error and
display the message in a format compatible with my other error messages.
   Unfortunately, I've been told that the message is produced by the device
driver and has nothing to do with the critical interrupt vector ....

Jon Meltzer
DML
Cornell University

Ddrive

In article <110@eli.UUCP> geller@eli.UUCP (David P. Geller) writes:
>> I need a way to trap the error message
>>
>> "Insert diskette for drive A: and strike
>>  any key when ready"
>
>You can do this. Look at the list of DOS interupt functions in the
>DOS manual. I also think there was a lengthy article written on
>DOS interupt handler programming in PC Tech Journal last year. Sorry
>for not providing specifics. Just pointers today...

Can't find it in the critical error interrup(int 24H) ...

Jon Meltzer
DML, Cornell University