[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Disk caching programs

bsmith@mprvaxa.UUCP (Brian Smith) (01/10/87)

	I'm interested in getting a disk caching program (Lightning, Flash,
Vcache, et al) for my PC.  I've tried EMMCACHE, which was posted on Usenet,
but the speed improvement I've experienced has been slight.  Therefore, I
would like to hear about some of the commercial packages available.  The
major points I'm interested in are:
		- Is the program reliable?
		- Does it speed up access to both hard and floppy disks?
		- Does it use EMS (Aboveboard) memory?
		- Does it do full-track buffering?
		- How much conventional memory does it gobble up?
		- Does it have any bells or whistles?

	Please send any respones directly to me.  (You should be able to
find the appropriate path in the UUCP-supplied header of this message.)
Given more than one or two responses, I will post a summary.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/14/87)

I borrowed a copy of "lightning" from a friend to try out on my
AT-compatible Epson Equity III.  I set it up with a 128K buffer
size for the cache.  I found that in everyday use, the improvement
in percieved performace was minimal, if any.

For example, without lighting running, I ran DISKTIME.COM and came
up with a throughput rate of 122,000 bytes/second on the fixed
disk.  With lightning, using a 128K cache, the throughput dropped
to 92,000 bytes/second.

Thus for long xfers of data that are bigger than the area that you
reserve for the cache, you actually get a substantial decrease in
performace.

Lightning would be relatively useful for a database program that
did lots of transfers of data in and out of files that were small
enough to reside in the cache buffer.  They include a demo file
that illustrates this point nicely.  Lightning would also be a
welcome addition if you are not lucky enough to have a fixed disk
on your system, as it does improved the percieved performance on
floppies quite a bit.

Oh yes, I didn't think lightning was enough of a value to warrant
its purchase in my case, so I used Norton's wipefile to avoid being
a pirate (for any of you sensitive readers out there).

  --Bill

harris@ecsvax.UUCP (Mark Harris) (01/15/87)

In article <360@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

> For example, without lighting running, I ran DISKTIME.COM and came
> up with a throughput rate of 122,000 bytes/second on the fixed
> disk.  With lightning, using a 128K cache, the throughput dropped
> to 92,000 bytes/second.

Lightning automatically recognizes expanded memory boards (EMS or EEMS).
I set aside 600K and I get a dramatic improvement in performance - except
for data file updates my drive light hardly ever comes on.  If you can
afford this large a chunk of memory you get a lot more utility than with
a RAM disk.

Mark Harris, Appalachian State University

news@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Usenet netnews) (01/15/87)

From: tim@tomcat.Caltech.Edu (Tim Kay)

In article <360@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>Thus for long xfers of data that are bigger than the area that you
>reserve for the cache, you actually get a substantial decrease in
>performace.

If you type L HELP for lightning, it lists an option

	L M=n	Limits Lightning read requests to n or fewer sectors

Perhaps they included this option so that you aren't penalized for
its use.  I am using their 80286 card with Lightning, and Lightning
is very helpful.

Timothy L. Kay				tim@csvax.caltech.edu
Department of Computer Science
Caltech, 256-80
Pasadena, CA  91125

gobbel@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Randy Gobbel) (01/20/87)

I've been using Super PC-Kwik, from Multisoft, Beaverton, OR, and have
been quite pleased.  My computer is a Toshiba 1100+ Laptop with very
slow floppy drives, so the speedup is a major help.  The program has
almost every conceivable option for various hardware configurations,
cache granularity, drives to cache/not cache, etc.  The program
includes a "measure" command that tells you the cache hit rate, which
seems to vary from around 40% to over 80% depending on what I'm doing.
One caveat: you do need to be careful about configuring the whole
system so that the cache and your application aren't fighting over
memory - i.e., you should either have a big cache and few buffers, or lots
of buffers and a small cache, but not both, or you actually end up
with worse performance.

Multisoft's number is (503)642-7108.  The program seems to be sort of
hard to find, but I think it's worth looking for. (I have no
connection with this company.)

-Randy