[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Zenith 158 Ram Upgrade

lodman@ncr-sd.UUCP (Mike Lodman) (01/12/87)

Would someone please respond via e-mail and tell me what ram chips
are needed to upgrade a 256K Zenith 158 PC to the full 640K?

--
Michael Lodman
Advanced Development

sdcsvax!ncr-sd!lodman

tim@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (01/13/87)

The Z-158 comes with one bank of 256K chips installed.  There is room
for two more banks of chips.  Yes, this does give a total of 768K, but
the ram decoder only sees the first 640K.  Since the Z-158 can run at
8Mhz clock rate, 256K chips rated at 150ns or faster should be used.
The Z-159 has the same configuration, but has no wait states for memory
access.  I do not know what speed the memory chips should be.
--
Timothy Lange
Purdue University Computing Center

reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) (01/14/87)

In article <1294@ncr-sd.UUCP>, lodman@ncr-sd.UUCP (Mike Lodman) writes:
> Would someone please respond via e-mail and tell me what ram chips
> are needed to upgrade a 256K Zenith 158 PC to the full 640K?
> --
> Michael Lodman

To upgrade a Z-158 to 640K, you need to buy two more banks of
256K-bit chips to add to the one you have.  A bank consists of
nine chips.  I believe you should get chips with a rating of
120ns to ensure proper operation at 8 MHz.

A Zenith engineer instructed me in this matter.  I learned the
following:  When you install the chips, you will have 768K
installed on the CPU board.  The computer will not recognize the
last 128K.  There is no harm in this.

I don't know how you can put another 384K in the machine to use
as a RAM disk.  It may not be possible but I trust you don't
care.

We bought our 256K chips from I.C. Express.  I would recommend
them because they have served us well.  Their prices are good
too.  Their address is:

	15358 Valley Blvd
	City of Industry, CA 91746
	(800) 892-8889 (out of CA)
	(800) 882-8181 (in CA)

--
Tom Reingold;  The Rockefeller University; 1230 York Av; NY 10021
PHONE: (212) 570-7709 [office]; (212) 304-2504 [home]

anderson@uwmacc.UUCP (Jess Anderson) (01/15/87)

In article <314@rocky2.UUCP>, reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) writes:
> In article <1294@ncr-sd.UUCP>, lodman@ncr-sd.UUCP (Mike Lodman) writes:
> > Would someone please respond via e-mail and tell me what ram chips
> > are needed to upgrade a 256K Zenith 158 PC to the full 640K?

> I believe you should get chips with a rating of
> 120ns to ensure proper operation at 8 MHz.

I have done this. I used 150ns chips (Toshiba, but any maker with
a good rep and a favorable price should be OK). We have a PC maintenance
guru where I work, and he said I would have no problems with 150 ns chips
and need not invest in faster ones. I have been running the machine at
8 MHz since September with a full load of RAM. I have no problems of any
kind (knock wood). There is a simple tool that compresses the pins slightly
to make inserting the chips easier on your nerves. I didn't know about
this tool at the time, but I had no problems with installation.

If you end up wanting more RAM for RAMdisks, I've heard that not all
add-ins work. For example, Tall Trees JRAM does not work. AST RAMpage
does and Intel AboveBoard does. I have not yet tried either.

On other upgrade matters, I have added an ST238 with Adaptec 2070a
controller to get a 30 MB hard disk (works like a champ!).

If you want an EGA, be aware that not all EGA boards work in a Z-158,
but here I don't have any other reliable information. Doubtless
someone else does. Good luck and have fun -- I sure am having fun
with my machine!

--
==ARPA:==============anderson@unix.macc.wisc.edu===Jess Anderson======
| UUCP: {harvard,seismo,topaz,    (avoid ihnp4!)   1210 W. Dayton    |

pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Grant A. Prellwitz) (01/20/87)

In article <2910@j.cc.purdue.edu> tim@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (Timothy Lange) writes:
>The Z-158 comes with one bank of 256K chips installed.  There is room
>for two more banks of chips.  Yes, this does give a total of 768K, but
>the ram decoder only sees the first 640K.
>--
>Timothy Lange
>Purdue University Computing Center
Yes, this only addresses 640 Kb  (DOS again) but there is a company called
Computer Partners that supposedly sells a new RAM chip that will allow you to
use a ramdrive to access that top 128Kb.  They sell this for a Z-148 and a
Z-158 (different chips).  They apparently just started doing the 158.  I know
this is possible because it is done on all Kaypro PC's, but, since the chip
hasn't come in for my Z-148 yet I cannot evaluate it.  Their address/phone is:
Computer Partners
P.O. Box 1528
Suite 112 -- Waverly Building
Koger Center
Brentwood, TN  37027
(615) 373-2061.

I got this info from BUSS and talking to them on the phone.  I am in no way
connected with them, not even as a user (yet).  BTW, the chip for my 148 ran
around $26.

		Grant Prellwitz
		!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1
		76474,2121  CIS