[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Interfacing the PC to DECNET?

sweillam@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Mugwump) (01/19/87)

Does anyone know of such a product: An interface between the PC and
DECNET?
Any information and/or pointers would be appreciated.
							hisham...

ddb@viper.UUCP (David Dyer-Bennet) (01/21/87)

DEC markets a product, possibly called DECnet dos, which in conjunction
with an ethernet interface will put your pc (yes, even an IBM one) up
as a decnet node.  Talk to your local sales office for information....

(I no longer work for DEC, and I didn't work on that particular project).
--
	-- David Dyer-Bennet
	Usenet: ...viper!ddb

pritch@osu-eddie.UUCP (01/21/87)

In article <8450@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> sweillam@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Mugwump) writes:

>Does anyone know of such a product: An interface between the PC and
>DECNET?
>Any information and/or pointers would be appreciated.
>							hisham...

Contact your local Digital Equipment Corporation sales rep.  The product is
called DECnet-DOS.  It requires version 3.x of MS-DOS.  Supports asynchronous
DECnet and DECnet-Ethernet.  Does file transfer, network virtual terminal,
mail (sending only) and a server program which will accept incoming connects
and fire up the named task or object number requested by the client.

You can also get more information on this (and other DEC products) by dialing
into the DEC Electronic Store and calling up the Software Product
Description.  The electronic store accepts 300/1200/2400 baud from 7am to
12m.

--
Norm Pritchett, The Ohio State University
BITNET: TS1703 at OHSTVMA	Bellnet: (614) 422-0885

campbell@maynard.UUCP (01/23/87)

In article <8450@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> sweillam@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Mugwump) writes:

>Does anyone know of such a product: An interface between the PC and
>DECNET?

Of course.  DEC has been selling DECnet-DOS for nearly two years now.
It makes your PC/XT/AT (or TRUE compatible) a full Phase IV DECnet
end (nonrouting) node.  It supports DECnet access over an asynchronous
line, or over Ethernet using controllers from 3Com or Excelan.

I've used it heavily for over a year.  It works.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.uucp             120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109