[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC-OUTLINE vs OUTLINE!

markd@wolf.UUCP (Mark Divecchio) (01/22/87)

I have come across a version of what looks like PC-OUTLINE called
OUTLINE! It was found on a bulletin board.

From looking at the program and files in the OUTLINE! package, it
really looks like OUTLINE! is exactly the same program as PC-OUTLINE
except that the opening banner was changed. There are readme files
with OUTLINE! that still call itself PC-OUTLINE.

Is OUTLINE! a hacked version of PC-OUTLINE or was some arrangement setup
between the two?

PC-OUTLINE (1.06) requests registration $ be sent to
	Softworks Development
	750 Stierln Rd    Suite 142
	Mountain View, CA 94043

OUTLINE! (3.15SW) requests registration $ be sent to
	Brown Bag Software
	2105 S. Bascom    Suite 164
	Campbell, CA 95008

--
---------------------------------
Mark C. DiVecchio 10435 Mountain Glen Terrace, San Diego, CA 92131

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (01/24/87)

In article <247@wolf.UUCP> markd@wolf.UUCP (Mark Divecchio) writes:
>I have come across a version of what looks like PC-OUTLINE called
>OUTLINE! It was found on a bulletin board.
>
>Is OUTLINE! a hacked version of PC-OUTLINE or was some arrangement setup
>between the two?
>
>PC-OUTLINE (1.06) requests registration $ be sent to
>	Softworks Development
>
>OUTLINE! (3.15SW) requests registration $ be sent to
>	Brown Bag Software

If I remember correctly, Brown Bag Software does buy certain rights
to packages and then resells them. One package that comes to mind
right away is Brown Bag Word Processor (the one that was distributed
in some PC Magazine) which is nothing but an earlier version of
PC-Write modified slightly. Maybe they have done the same with
PC-Outline.

fritzson@bigburd.UUCP (01/25/87)

There have been several articles posted about a version of PC-Outline
which asks that registration be sent to Brown Bag instead of Softworks
Development. The fact is that Brown Bag did legally buy PC-Outline from
Softworks for resale. If you send money to Softworks (I did) it will
go to Brown Bag and any response you receive (the printed manual) will
come from Brown Bag. When I did this  (Fall 1986) the response included
a request for additional money ("We raised the price", they said.) and
made it plain that they intended to stop shareware distribution and
institute copy protection on the product. Either they have since changed
their minds on this, or someone else is posting it as shareware with
Brown Bag's address on it. It's a shame about Softworks abandoning
the Shareware concept, but PC-Outline (or Outline!) is a great
product no matter how you get it.
	-Rich Fritzson
	seismo!burdvax!fritzson