[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Does MS-Windows run on the SunIPC board?

michael@orcisi.UUCP (01/20/87)

I would like to know if MS-Windows will run on Sun's SunIPC board?

...and is there a Windows display driver available that supports
for the SunIPC that supports higher than conventional PC screen
resolutions (i.e. > EGA resolution)?  Maybe the limitation will
be in the SunIPC screen emulation.

With the SunIPC board being so new, perhaps I should be asking if
anyone out there have any experience whether it be running MS-Windows
or any other conventional PC applications on the board?

Michael Herman
Optical Recording Corporation
141 John Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada  M5V 2E4

UUCP:  seismo!mnetor!syntron!orcisi!michael
ALSO:  mwherman@watcgl.waterloo.edu

shel@cfisun.UUCP (01/25/87)

In article <781@orcisi.UUCP> michael@orcisi.UUCP writes:
>I would like to know if MS-Windows will run on Sun's SunIPC board?
>...and is there a Windows display driver available that supports
>for the SunIPC that supports higher than conventional PC screen
>resolutions (i.e. > EGA resolution)?  Maybe the limitation will
>be in the SunIPC screen emulation...

Yes it works on the Sun IPC.  We have had an IPC for about 2 months and have
had no trouble with any PC software.  The only problem was installing
Windows.  We first installed it onto a real PC we had hooked up with PC-NFS
and then transfered the created directories onto a network disk where the
IPC could see it.  Things work fine, although if you are using the IPC
a Sun other than the one with the IPC in it things get a little slow.

The IPC only simulates either a CGA or Hercules board, you cannot get any higher
resolution than that, but you can tell the IPC which one to emulate.

Hope this helps.

--
Sheldon Laube, The Consumer Financial Institute, Waltham, MA 617-899-6500
{decvax!yale|allegra|ihnp4|ucbvax!cbosgd}!ima!cfisun!shel