[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS vs UNIX: the reality

ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) (01/23/87)

I didn't have the heart to post this one to any of the "UNIX.wizards" type
newsgroups.  I spoke to a gentleman from Unisoft at the UNIFORUM at the D.C.
convention center today and asked him concerning the 180 or so companies
which Unisoft used to advertise ran their (Unisoft's) UNIX port three or
four years ago, how many were left alive today. His answer:  "About 26".
Sobering thought, isn't it.

Ted Holden,
IMS

beattie@netxcom.UUCP (Brian Beattie) (01/24/87)

In article <670@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>I didn't have the heart to post this one to any of the "UNIX.wizards" type
>newsgroups.  I spoke to a gentleman from Unisoft at the UNIFORUM at the D.C.
>convention center today and asked him concerning the 180 or so companies
>which Unisoft used to advertise ran their (Unisoft's) UNIX port three or
>four years ago, how many were left alive today. His answer:  "About 26".
>Sobering thought, isn't it.
>
>Ted Holden,
>IMS
I would claim this has more to do with the quality of the Unisoft port
rather than UNIX.  Unisoft is only one of many ports of UNIX and System III
is very much out of date.  Having seen Unisoft ports before I would
use MSDOS before Unisoft.

I'll take a real UNIX or if I have to XENIX.

Brian Beattie			| Phone: (703)749-2365
NetExpress Communications, Inc.	| uucp: seismo!sundc!netxcom!beattie
1953 Gallows Road, Suite 300	|
Vienna,VA 22180			|

geller@eli.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <278@netxcom.UUCP>, beattie@netxcom.UUCP (Brian Beattie) writes:
> ...Unisoft is only one of many ports of UNIX and System III
> is very much out of date.  Having seen Unisoft ports before I would
> use MSDOS before Unisoft.
>
> I'll take a real UNIX or if I have to XENIX.

Too bad. You might be missing some good stuff out there. I'm running
an IBC/Integrated Business Computers Ensign II. The machine is very
fast and is running Unisoft's Uniplus+ System V.0. The reason IBC has
V.0 is along story (something to do with Unisoft screwing around...)
but I do know that IBC bought the porting kit from Unisoft and did
a great deal of work themselves. The result: a fast dual 68010 based
System V box with 4 Mbytes RAM, 16 ports, blah blah blah (the usual
stuff) and Berkeley enhancements. OK - you don't like swapping UNIX -
well IBC has a nice proprietary caching mechanism that uses its own
1 Mbyte RAM and the second 68010. Very fast.

So what's my point? Not all Unisoft ports are bad and almost anything
is better than MS-DOS. I've used both for many years. I'll also take
Unisoft to XENIX anyday!

David Geller
Electric Logic, Inc.
Washington, D.C.