[comp.sys.ibm.pc] fansi-console problems.

sbanner1@uvicctr.UUCP (S. John Banner) (01/16/87)

   Hello,  I just recently got a copy of Fansi Console V2.0 for my
PC clone, and when I went to install it, I found that it hangs the
machine.  The machine boots just fine, it comes up with the header,
runs through the AUTOEXEC.BAT (or produces the enter date message
if I try to run it without an AUTOEXEC), with no problems, runs
whatever programs I put into the AUTOEXEC, but won't read the keyboard.
When it gets to the point where it requires user input, the program
just stops, and waits, and nothing will get it going again (not even
Cntl-Alt-Del will do anything).  This is the first time I have ever
seen anything quite like this, any other program that I have ever found
to hang the machine beond the 'help' of a 'Cntl-Alt-Del', has also
stopped the clock that I have running in the corner of the screen,
but this doesn't.

   The system I have is:
IBS PC  (2floppies, and a 20Meg Hard drive),
an AST 6pack clone, with full memory expansion installed (640K total),
Tecmar Graphics Master card (configured as a CGA), with matching
      monitor,
NEC V20 CPU.

With the exception of the V20, this is almost identical to the system
that the documentation says they use for their development work, and
I have an old version (1.07), that works just fine.  I have never
knoticed any compatablity problems with my machine, except LoadRunner,
which just spins the drive when I try to boot it (with both a V20,
and an 8088).  If anyone has any suggestions at all, I would really
like to hear them, because V2.0 seems to be pretty nice, and I would
really like to try it.  Alternately if anyone has any intermidiate
versions I could try, I would like to try them, so I can if nothing
else get a version that is somewhere in between.

                      Thanks,

                      S. John Banner

...!uw-beaver!uvicctr!sbanner1
ccsjb@uvvm
sbanner1@uvunix.UVIC.CDN

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Robert Montante) (01/22/87)

sbanner1@uvicctr.UUCP (S. John Banner) :

>   Hello,  I just recently got a copy of Fansi Console V2.0 for my
>PC clone, and when I went to install it, I found that it hangs the
>machine.  [...]
>
>   The system I have is:
>IBS PC  (2floppies, and a 20Meg Hard drive),
>an AST 6pack clone, with full memory expansion installed (640K total),
>Tecmar Graphics Master card (configured as a CGA), with matching
>      monitor,
>NEC V20 CPU.

[...]

Well, I doubt that it's the V20, as I'm using Fansi v2.00f on a Zenith with a
V20 right now.  Have you tried the various switches, like /Y=1 or 0 to increase
IBM compatibility?  None of the /X switches mention an IBS, but you might try
one of them (1 thru 6) to see if that matches up. . . . There are some other
keyboard functions, but since I didn't buy the printed manual I don't know how
to do anything with them :-(
	You might try using AUTOEXEC.BAT to call some program that reads the
keyboard, just to get some more symptoms.

tso@rocky2.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <218@uvicctr.UUCP> sbanner1@uvicctr.UUCP (S. John Banner) writes:
)
)   Hello,  I just recently got a copy of Fansi Console V2.0 for my
)PC clone, and when I went to install it, I found that it hangs the
)machine.  The machine boots just fine, it comes up with the header,
)runs through the AUTOEXEC.BAT (or produces the enter date message
)if I try to run it without an AUTOEXEC), with no problems, runs
)...
)I have an old version (1.07), that works just fine.  I have never
)...
)and an 8088).  If anyone has any suggestions at all, I would really
)like to hear them, because V2.0 seems to be pretty nice, and I would
)really like to try it.  Alternately if anyone has any intermidiate
)versions I could try, I would like to try them, so I can if nothing
)else get a version that is somewhere in between.

	I seem to recall having to up the number of buffers allocated in
config.sys . You might want to check that out.
	I do have version 1.15D, if you want to give that a try.

					Cheers,

					Dan Ts'o
					...cmcl2!rna!dan

latham@bsdpkh.UUCP (01/27/87)

in article <218@uvicctr.UUCP>, sbanner1@uvicctr.UUCP (S. John Banner) says:

>    Hello,  I just recently got a copy of Fansi Console V2.0 for my
> The machine boots just fine, it comes up with the header,
> runs through the AUTOEXEC.BAT (or produces the enter date message
> if I try to run it without an AUTOEXEC), with no problems, runs
> whatever programs I put into the AUTOEXEC, but won't read the keyboard.
>
>	IBS PC  (2floppies, and a 20Meg Hard drive),
>	AST 6pack clone, with 640K,
>	Tecmar Graphics Master (configured as a CGA), with matching monitor,
>	NEC V20 CPU.

This strikes me as very strange :

I have

	IBM PC  ( 1 floppy, and a 30meg drive )
	AST 6pack (real) with 640,
	Sigma 400 configured as a CGA, with matching monitor,
	NEC V20 CPU

sound familiar?

Fansi-console works perfectly, That may only be because I haven't gotten
around to paying for it yet :-).

The only problem I have is that I can't do anything with my 400 card
while fansi is loaded .... real drag!

I WOULD say that the problem resides with the Tecmar BUT I have a friend
who uses a system almost Identical to your's ( real 6-pack , tecmar ) and
has no trouble at all using Fansi.  In fact he brags about the extra
text lines (50?) that the Fansi developers didn't see fit to take advantage of
on the Sigma400.

Somehow I can't see that it would be the imitation 6-pack but that's the
only thing left to suspect.

Configuration is the most likely cause ... it seems almost certain.
check your Fansi command line switches
	OR
Have you checked your keyboard cable :-) :-)

				Ken Latham
				!ihnp4!codas!bsdpkh!latham