[comp.sys.ibm.pc] different DOS 3.2s ?

ma168a@sdcc3.UUCP (01/27/87)

Recently, in this group, there have been a series of comments about two
issues:

       1. An equivalent of "PATH" for data files
       2. A file comparison utility

My curiosity has been aroused: both are part of the version of DOS 3.2 which
I have -- and I assumed they were standard. (I am using Microsoft MS-DOS
version 3.2 licensed to Tandy Corp.)

       1. The APPEND command "Sets a data file path which tells MS-DOS the
          drives and directories in which to search for data files"
       2. The FC command "Compares the contents of two files or sets of
          files"

My first reaction is that the posters were using an earlier version of MS-DOS.
Some recent comments have indicated that version 3.2 was available to at least
some of the posters.

Has Microsoft produced versions of DOS 3.2 having enhancements not commonly
available?

                                                   J Wavrik
                                                   Dept of Math
                                                   UCSD

sdcc3%ma168a@SDCSVAX.UCSD.EDU

brown@nicmad.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <3717@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU> ma168a@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (John Wavrik) writes:
>My curiosity has been aroused: both are part of the version of DOS 3.2 which
>I have -- and I assumed they were standard. (I am using Microsoft MS-DOS
>version 3.2 licensed to Tandy Corp.)
>
>       1. The APPEND command "Sets a data file path which tells MS-DOS the
>          drives and directories in which to search for data files"
>       2. The FC command "Compares the contents of two files or sets of
>          files"

Sorry, PC-DOS 3.20 doesn't have APPEND or FC.
--
	   ihnp4------\				|------------------------|
	 harvard-\     \			|        terminus:       |

steveh@dartvax.UUCP (01/29/87)

I believe that the append command comes with IBM's PCNET software.

kuo@skatter.UUCP (02/02/87)

In article <3717@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU>, ma168a@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (John Wavrik) writes:

> Has Microsoft produced versions of DOS 3.2 having enhancements not commonly
> available?

I wonder if this is due to MS-DOS 3.2 and 3.21? Also, I think, some
times when DOS is ported/licensed to another machine (e.g. a Tandy), extra
utility may be added. For example, I have seen a FC on an Olivetti DOS 2.0
(or was it 2.1) but not on PC-DOS 2.0

... Peter/
uucp: {ihnp4, alberta}!sask!skatter!kuo