[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Files from CSNEWS@MAINE

kuo@skatter.UUCP (01/08/87)

According to a list of Bitnet servers, there is a server called
CSNEWS@MAINE that carries some public domain software for IBM-PC's.
I have not been able to get anything from it. Anyone in the netland
tried it, or know anything about it?

I was sending both VMS MAIL and Bitnet SEND/FILE messages to CSNEWS@MAINE
and got no response or what so ever.

Much thanks in advance for any info I receive.

... Peter/

Peter Kuo                    Bitnet (VMS address)    : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory              (UUCP address)   : "skatter!kuo@sask.uucp"
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse)
Univ. of Saskatchewan          uucp (unix address)   : !ihnp4!sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan             (Bitnet address) : !ihnp4!sask.BITNET!kuo
CANADA  S7N 0W0
Tel. (306) 966-6059

[Disclaimer: all the standard stuff.]

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (01/24/87)

In article <254@skatter.UUCP> kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) writes:
>According to a list of Bitnet servers, there is a server called
>CSNEWS@MAINE that carries some public domain software for IBM-PC's.
>I have not been able to get anything from it. Anyone in the netland
>tried it, or know anything about it?

Well, this is what I know about CSNEWS. It is a system meant to allow
U of Maine students and others at remote sites to gain access to files
and services of general interest.
Among the services were the maintainence of a BITNAUT's list, a
VM newsletter ( which was generally OK), etc.
The last time I tried CSNEWS was a few months ago, so I don't know
what the current status is.

To get more information you may try :
RSCS SMSG MSG MAINE CSNEWS HELP

This is on BITNET of course on a VM machine. You can also use the
SEND command on VAX's.

moews@husc4.UUCP (01/27/87)

In article <982@ur-tut.UUCP> akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (Atul Kacker) writes:
>The last time I tried CSNEWS was a few months ago, so I don't know
>what the current status is.
>
>To get more information [about CSNEWS] you may try :
>RSCS SMSG MSG MAINE CSNEWS HELP
>
>This is on BITNET of course on a VM machine....

    This command should be

SMSG <rscsmachine> MSG MAINE CSNEWS HELP

 where <rscsmachine> should be replaced with the name of your RSCS machine,
which is probably, but not necessarily, RSCS; to find out, say

IDENTIFY

which will print

--
David Moews    moews@husc4.harvard.edu      ...!harvard!husc4!moews

kuo@skatter.UUCP (01/30/87)

In article <982@ur-tut.UUCP>, akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (Atul Kacker) writes:
> VM newsletter ( which was generally OK), etc.
> The last time I tried CSNEWS was a few months ago, so I don't know
> what the current status is.
>
> To get more information you may try :
> RSCS SMSG MSG MAINE CSNEWS HELP
>
> This is on BITNET of course on a VM machine. You can also use the
> SEND command on VAX's.

Thanks to all those who send me pointers on getting info from CSNEWS@MAINE.
I tried and got response from this site via Bitnet on a VAX/VMS. For those
interested, try (under VMS):

	$send csnews@maine "HELP"

for starters. (This is, of course, assuming your VMS is on Bitnet!)

... Peter/

joeh@dartvax.UUCP (02/03/87)

>To get more information you may try :
>RSCS SMSG MSG MAINE CSNEWS HELP

I just pulled a bitnet servers listing from somewhere in
bitnet land, if anyone wants  I can punch it over. Did
you find any IBM pc code at csnews? I would be interested
also.
-Joe
joeh at dartcms1