[comp.sys.ibm.pc] RUNNING CP/M ON IBM PC'S

demo13@andromeda.UUCP (Demo Account) (01/22/87)

My question is: Is there a way to run CP/M software on an IBM PC?
If there is a way please post in this newsgroup.
Thank you.

john@moncol.UUCP (01/25/87)

In article <207@andromeda.UUCP> demo13@andromeda.UUCP writes:
>My question is: Is there a way to run CP/M software on an IBM PC?

Basically, you have three options:

1) Install a Z80 coprocessor board in one of the PC's expansion slots.
   (What Apple ][ owners have done for years.) The best known coprocessor
   boards are probably the Baby Blue II by Xedec and the Blue Thunder by
   Decmation. Normally, such boards come with software that accesses them
   to actually run your CP/M program under MS-DOS, but there is also a
   version of CP/M (RP/M2 actually) that can also run native with the
   Blue Thunder card.

   The advantage of this method is execution speed, but at higher cost.

2) If you only need to run programs written for the 8080, then consider
   replacing the 8088 in your PC with a NEC V20. There are several
   programs available which can use the 8080 emulation mode of the V20
   to allow you to run CP/M programs under MS-DOS.

   The advantages of this method are speed and low cost (>$20 for the V20
   and from $0 to $200 for the software). (Personally, I use the V20 with
   a shareware package called V2080.) The disadvantages are that you can
   only run 8080 programs and there is a small possibility that the V20
   may be incompatable with some MS-DOS software. (In practice, the latter
   concern is *very* minor and can be effectively ignored.)

3) Software emulation of the Z80 CPU and CP/M BIOS/BDOS. The best known is
   a PD package called Z80MU which was recently reviewed in BYTE magazine.

   The advantage of this method is low cost; Z80MU is available on many
   larger BBS's (and the SIMTEL 20 archives). The disadvantage is speed;
   an emulated Z80 running on a 4.77 mhz IBM PC is about the equivalent of
   a real Z80 running at .5 mhz.

Personally, I prefer method 3; the Z80MU package sets up a nice environment
for the running and CP/M software and seems to present an excellent
emulation. Given the low cost, however, I would also install the V20 CPU
(which offers other advantages besides the 8080 emulation) and try to
locate a copy of V2080 or another CP/M emulator for the V20.

One matter I have not discussed, however, is the transfer of CP/M programs
to MS-DOS format disks. This was recently discussed  in this newsgroup and
is best summarized by others more qualified.

Hope this is of some help...
--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	If you give bigger kisses, you get bigger hugs.

postman#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (01/26/87)

ReSent-To:nntp-xmit#@andrew.cmu.edu
To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.sys.ibm.pc@andrew.cmu.edu,
	outnews#ext.nn.comp.sys.cbm@andrew.cmu.edu
Newsgroup: comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.sys.cbm

>Date: 22 Jan 87 16:33:54 GMT
>From: demo13@andromeda.UUCP (Demo Account)
>Subject: RUNNING CP/M ON IBM PC'S

>My question is: Is there a way to run CP/M software on an IBM PC?
>If there is a way please post in this newsgroup.
>Thank you.

I am aware of a program called UNIDOS, sold by MicroSolutions, of DeKalb,
Illinois. This program runs under DOS, and if you execute your CP/M programs
(*.COM, renamed to *.CPM), it runs them in emulation mode.
I do not know their address/telephone, but I'm sure you can find out by using
directory assistance for the area code 815.

The usual disclaimer: I have no connection with these people whatsoever, but
I have seen their program "in action", and I think this is what you need.

B Repetto
br0w@andrew.cmu.edu

martyl@rocksvax.UUCP (01/26/87)

Try RUN/CPM from micro interfaces corportation (6824 n.w. 169th st,
Miami Florida   33015
(305) 823-8088)

They sell Z-80 coprocessor boards and NEC v-20s with Cp/m emulation software.

While this package works by itself very well, it often wreaks havoc with other memory resident utilities.

I have one for my AT and it does what I want it to do.

marty leisner
leisner.henr@xerox.com
{rochester,amd,ihnp4}!rocksvax!martyl

cpcahil@rlgvax.UUCP (Conor Cahill) (02/03/87)

In article <207@andromeda.UUCP>, demo13@andromeda.UUCP (Demo Account) writes:
> My question is: Is there a way to run CP/M software on an IBM PC?
> If there is a way please post in this newsgroup.
> Thank you.

The following corp has some software that will allow you to read and write
cpm formatted disks (READ/CPM) for many computers. They also have a co-processor board
which allows you run cpm directly.

I have used READ/CPM for the past year to transfer files from my PC compatable
and an old Kaypro without any problems.

Micro Interfaces Corporation
6824 N.W. 169th Street
Miami, Florida 33015