[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Reset switch for IBM PC/AT ?

johnl@ima.UUCP (01/28/87)

I do software development on my PC AT, which means that it hangs a lot.
Turning it off and on is a pain, and isn't very good for the disks and
the screen either.  It is my impression that it should be fairly easy to
build a little circuit that when I push a button zaps the reset line inside
the PC and restarts it as though the power had just been restored.  Please
mail me responses; I'll summarize if there's interest.

I realize that there are various software ways to try to catch keystrokes
and reset, but my programs are sufficiently vicious that only a hardware
reset will do.

TIA,
--
John R. Levine, Javelin Software Corp., Cambridge MA +1 617 494 1400
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

rwwetmore@watmath.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <460@ima.UUCP> johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) writes:
>It is my impression that it should be fairly easy to
>build a little circuit that when I push a button zaps the reset line inside
>the PC and restarts it as though the power had just been restored.

 I have a spring loaded push button connected to an on board jumper by
twisted pair wires that I can hit on the back of my AT clone. The jumper
is documented in the motherboard technical sheets. Presumably a similar
jumper exists on yours. Ask your local hardware technicians, maybe.

Ross W. Wetmore			| rwwetmore@water.NetNorth
University of Waterloo		| rwwetmore@math.waterloo.edu
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1	| {clyde, ihnp4, ubc-vision, utcsri}
(519) 885-1211 ext 3491		|   !watmath!rwwetmore

cdl@aluxs.UUCP (02/05/87)

In article <460@ima.UUCP>, johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) writes:
> I do software development on my PC AT, which means that it hangs a lot.
> Turning it off and on is a pain, and isn't very good for the disks and
> the screen either.  It is my impression that it should be fairly easy to
> build a little circuit that when I push a button zaps the reset line inside
> the PC and restarts it as though the power had just been restored.  Please
> mail me responses; I'll summarize if there's interest.
>
> I realize that there are various software ways to try to catch keystrokes
I have installed a reset switch on my pc-compatible. (in 1/2 hour)
There is a 8284 clock chip close to the 8088 CPU, this chip
controls the cold boot reset ie. when you power up, this chip
sends a reset pulse to everything. You can force this chip to send
a reset pulse to everything by pulling its pin #11 low. This won't
harm your system at all since you are doing the same thing when you
turn your sytem on/off.