[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Park command for IBM PC w/ Seagate

berger@clio.UUCP (01/28/87)

If it's a relatively new drive, you probably don't want to use a
head parking program.  The more recent Seagate drives automatically
retract the head on power-down.  The "universal" head parking
programs read your drive parameters and park the head a few tracks
beyond the last track - generally well within the alternate
track section and not on the track left by the manufacturer for
parking the head.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (01/30/87)

Hi,

	I think I shoudl ammend what I said about  parking the
heads on a Seagate drive.  From what I observe, it seems that when
operated with an adaptec controller that the drive parks itself at
power off.  I can't say if the Z-8 MPU or whatever is in the drive
itself does this, or if it is related to the controller card.  It
may or may not work with a WD controller.

Berger@clio alluded to the above in his posting.  I have indeed
noticed that the Seagate ST-238 in particular goes though a rather
lengthy g-r-r-r-r-r recalibrate noise at the next reboot after it
has been "parked" with the shipdisk program on the diagnostics
disk.  The ST-238 doesn't do that if it is just powered down.
Actually, we've never lost an HDU, except for the full height 10
meg unit on one IBM-XT.  Oh yes, a 30 meg HDU on an altos 586, but
it got zapped by lightning, so that doesn't count for vibrational
damage.

  --Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Unviersities' College of Medicine
Rootsberry Landing, OH  44272    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP    ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)

madd@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <16800027@clio> berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

>If it's a relatively new drive, you probably don't want to use a
>head parking program.  The more recent Seagate drives automatically
>retract the head on power-down.  The "universal" head parking
>programs read your drive parameters and park the head a few tracks
>beyond the last track - generally well within the alternate
>track section and not on the track left by the manufacturer for
>parking the head.

Beware!  "New" means "recent model" here.  A good point to note is that
using a head parking program on a drive that has automatic head retraction
CANNOT hurt.  The heads will still automatically retract.  If you think
that your drive is automatically parking, then neglect to use a park
utility, you could be wrong and lose data.  READ YOUR DRIVE SPECS!  Unless
they specifically state that the head retracts automatically, use a park
program.  Most drives that do not park come with a utility disk that has
a head parker on it, but lack thereof is still not a guarantee that your
drive parks by itself.

                   - Jim Frost * The Madd Hacker -
UUCP:  ..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!madd | ARPANET: madd@bucsb.bu.edu
CSNET: madd%bucsb@bu-cs            | BITNET:  cscc71c@bostonu
"Oh beer, oh beer." -- Me      |      [=(BEER) <- Bud the Beer (cheers!)