[comp.sys.ibm.pc] GNUPLOT

phcalamai@water.UUCP (02/05/87)

First of all, thanks for this very nice program.

Now, can anyone out there please tell me how I can
get GNUPLOT to send plots to either my cheepo gemini-10x
printer or my Apple LaserWriter ?
I've tried setting output to both LPT1 and PRN
but neither or these seems to work.

BTW, my LaserWriter is connected to COM2:

Thanks, in advance.

ARPA:  calamai@anl-mcs  or  na.calamai@su-score
CSNET: phcalamai%water%waterloo.csnet
UUCP:  ... decvax!watmath!phcalamai

colin@vu-vlsi.UUCP (02/07/87)

In article <766@water.UUCP> phcalamai@water.UUCP (Paul H. Calamai) writes:
>Now, can anyone out there please tell me how I can
>get GNUPLOT to send plots to either my cheepo gemini-10x
>printer or my Apple LaserWriter ?
>I've tried setting output to both LPT1 and PRN
>but neither or these seems to work.
>
>BTW, my LaserWriter is connected to COM2:

This might be of general interest, so here goes.  The easiest way to get
Gnuplot output to dot-matrix printers is to use a screen dump program.  The
Gemini-10x supports Epson graphics, right?  If so, then you can can use
GRAPHICS.COM (which comes with PC-DOS) to screen dump from a CGA screen to
an Epson.  If you don't have CGA then you'll have to use another screen dump
program, but these are pretty easy to come by on BBS's...

The Apple LaserWriter speaks Postscript, so use the Gnuplot Postscript driver.
We don't have a LaserWriter around here, so I haven't been able to test it.
[The Gnuplot Postscript driver was graciously sent to us by richb@yarra.OZ
(Rich Burridge).]

If your LaserWriter is connected to COM2:, then that's what you should use!
You may have to run MODE or whatever to set up the baud rate of course.
I'm assuming that you've got the cable wired to do hardware handshaking
correctly or that you've got an XON/XOFF serial port driver loaded...

Well, here's an example:

	gnuplot> set term postscript
	gnuplot> set output 'com2'

	-Colin Kelley  ..{cbmvax,pyrnj,psuvax1,bpa}!vu-vlsi!colin