[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM emulator for vax/unix

arnold@garfield.UUCP (01/15/87)

greetings

I was wondering iff there is a program around that will allow one to
run IBM software (unmodified) on the vax/unix? If such an animal
exists I would be interested in aquiring one. Thanks in advance.

						Arnold@garfield.UUCP

bu147441@cisunx.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <3394@garfield.UUCP> arnold@garfield.UUCP writes:
>I was wondering iff there is a program around that will allow one to
>run IBM software (unmodified) on the vax/unix? If such an animal
>exists I would be interested in aquiring one. Thanks in advance.
>						Arnold@garfield.UUCP

my roommate showed me an article last night from MAcWorld magazine.
it had a review of a program in it that might be what you are looking for.
probably not what you are looking for but since some might be interested
here is what i read.  Hunter Systems of Palo Alto, Ca is in the process
(or has finished) software that will allow users of 68020 based machines
to run IBM-PC software on these systems.  and possible vice versa.
since it is rumored that the new mac will have a 68020 they considered
it worth putting into macworld.

--
Dan "Belgarion" Eikenberry			ZETS ZETS!!!!!!!!!!!!
University of Pitsburgh Computing and Information Systems Software Technician

tenney@well.UUCP (01/31/87)

In article <3394@garfield.UUCP> arnold@garfield.UUCP writes:
>I was wondering iff there is a program around that will allow one to
>run IBM software (unmodified) on the vax/unix? If such an animal
>exists I would be interested in aquiring one. Thanks in advance.

A couple of nights ago Andy Tanenbaum talked about Minix.  He said
that in order to solve one of those 'last bugs' he wrote a PC similator
for his Vax.  He said that the complete source is included on the Minix
tar tape which is available from Prentice Hall for $80.  I doubt it
will run PC software, since it probably simulates the PC not the PC with
BIOS.  Good luck.
Glenn Tenney

henkp@nikhefk.UUCP (02/08/87)

=
=A couple of nights ago Andy Tanenbaum talked about Minix.  He said
=that in order to solve one of those 'last bugs' he wrote a PC similator
=for his Vax.  He said that the complete source is included on the Minix
=tar tape which is available from Prentice Hall for $80.  I doubt it
=will run PC software, since it probably simulates the PC not the PC with
=BIOS.  Good luck.
=Glenn Tenney

This simulator missed some of the instructions and flags not used by
the C compiller. The hardware emulation is: fixed programmed 8253,
floppy controller and uart. There is a good set of trace and dump
facilitys but only startup specifiable. It is not very fast.
So you need a big VAX to get a very slow "IBM-PC" and much work
to do to get a more complete emulation.

(I working on a extended version. It runs now also on my IBMPC
clone. Please do not ask for a copy, it is not ready. Oh, my
intention is not runing MSDOS software on a big unix machine!!)

henk peek,  henkp@nikhefk.UUCP   seismo!mcvax!nikhefk!henkp.UUCP