[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Can a pc run cbm software?

demo11@andromeda.UUCP (02/09/87)

Please excuse this posting because it is my first time.
I have both an ibm pc and a commadore 64 and would find it better if I could run my '64 disks on my pc.  My question is: Is there any way that I can do this?
Please post on the network.  Thank you.

astrix@puff.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <228@andromeda.UUCP>, demo11@andromeda.UUCP (Demo Account) writes:
> Please excuse this posting because it is my first time.
> I have both an ibm pc and a commadore 64 and would find it better if I could run my '64 disks on my pc.  My question is: Is there any way that I can do this?
> Please post on the network.  Thank you.

In terms of running packages (compiled) no, unless you have an 6502
(6510) emulator. As far as running source programs, it will depend on
the basic languages involved. For example, all I/O is usually in some
way or another machine (i.e. manufacturer) dependent and would need
some "massaging". In terms of plain old "disk" software, no since the
disks have different formats. But... you can look for "porting" one
system to another. In the current journals (I don't have them with me
here) are two such articles. One for a commodore <-> radio shack 100
and one for (I think) commodore <-> ibm pc. This is via modems and
connecting cables. Hope this answers what you need.

astrix (Lou R. Goodman), UW Madison

|| He who knows, who really knows, and knows that he knows...... ||
|| knows just how much he doesn't know......                     ||
|| "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but flames... oy weh!" ||