[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Microsoft customer "support", wh

go@orstcs.UUCP (02/12/87)

>/* Written  3:59 pm  Feb  8, 1987 by del@pilchuck in orstcs:comp.sys.ibm.p */
>/* ---------- "Re: Microsoft customer "support", w" ---------- */
>Subject: Re: Microsoft customer "support", why it is.
>

>This explanation has been posted before, guess it's my turn. I saw
>someone from Microsoft post something similar to this once a long time
>ago, I guess they have given up trying to reason with people.
>
>Microsoft does not have the best customer support in the world, but it
>is at least reasonable. It is unreasonable for you to expect them to
>support MS-DOS! MS-DOS is an OEM product only, Microsoft does not sell
>it (retail). PC-DOS is only MS-DOS with IBM PC drivers in it, OEM'ed to IBM.
>
>Whoever the OEM that purchases the MS-DOS is expected to provide their
>own support for it. Or they could probably pay Microsoft to provide
>support, but I suppose they would rather pay less money and not get the
>added service, why should they? If it doesn't increase their revenue more
>than the cost of the support, it is wasted money.
>--
>del (Erik Lindberg)
>uw-beaver!tikal!pilchuck!del

I am afraid you missed the point, too.  As I said, this was a
Microsoft package, made to be retailed by Microsoft.  Shrinkwrapped
by Microsoft, etc.  There WAS no "OEM" -- it was a computer store
that purchased the product from Microsoft!

I just received a return call today (2/11) from a "troubleshooter"
(my word, not his) from Microsoft, and he told me that the retail
scene is new for them.  They are not used to it yet.  And it
seems that many (some) of their front-line support people are
not either.  They *ARE* (according to him) retailing it -- selling
it like a bread company sells its wares at a supermarket.

Anyway, he told me to wait for 3.21 (real soon now) for the bug
fix.  They will distribute it thru the retailers (as I expected)
so I should hang on for a few weeks (I hope).

The call I received today answered the questions and told me
exactly the things I was requesting on my first call.  So far, I
am satisfied.  You can bet that if it happens again, I'll keep
my cool long enough to get the person's name :-).  Thin skinned, I
guess.

Gary Oliver
...!hp-pcd!orstcs!go