[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ZOOM Modem cards

bobr@zeus.UUCP (02/05/87)

I recently got this "special, limited time offer" for a ZOOM 1200 or 2400
baud modem card (2400 baud for around $300).  Does anyone know anything
about this brand?  Is this a good deal?  The letter included a couple of
"reviews" from publications I've never heard of, so I don't know whether
this is a genuine deal or just an attempt to sucker me in.
--
Robert Reed, Tektronix CAE Systems Division, bobr@zeus.TEK

jon@gaia.UUCP (02/10/87)

bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed):
>I recently got this "special, limited time offer" for a ZOOM 1200 or 2400
>baud modem card (2400 baud for around $300).  Does anyone know anything
>about this brand?

I got the same "limited time offer" back in August.  I went for it, and I
have never regretted it.  I use the Zoom 2400 modem in my 8 MHz AT, and it
works wonderfully.  Having played with a lot of 2400 baud modems, I feel
that I can comfortably say that this is about the most solid one I have
seen.  I recommend it.

--
Jonathan Corbet
{seismo | hplabs | gatech}!hao!gaia!jon

pre1@sphinx.UUCP (02/13/87)

In article <1199@zeus.TEK.COM> bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) writes:
>I recently got this "special, limited time offer" for a ZOOM 1200 or 2400
>baud modem card (2400 baud for around $300).  Does anyone know anything
>about this brand?  Is this a good deal?  The letter included a couple of
>"reviews" from publications I've never heard of, so I don't know whether
>this is a genuine deal or just an attempt to sucker me in.
>--
>Robert Reed, Tektronix CAE Systems Division, bobr@zeus.TEK

I have seen reviews of this modem in a number of the magazines that I read that
are specific to the Heath/Zenith world, so if you don't follow them you might
not have heard of it.  From what I've heard it's a very good modem, and at
least one reviewer I know (also a prof at UNC (?) ) swears by it.  I think
that you might be able to come up with a USR for around that price now,
however.

		Grant Prellwitz