[comp.sys.ibm.pc] FANSI and weird video modes

haviland@uvm-gen.UUCP (02/05/87)

     Does anyone out there have a patch or something for FANSI so that
     it will allow an AT&T6300 to go into its 640x400 mode?  With FANSI
     installed if you try to go into this mode (INT10h with AL=40h)
     it apparently tries to go into the monochrome mode, which totally
     screws up the display (makes it look like a tv with a shot vertical
     hold).  FANSI is so excellent that I can't live without it now,
     but it is a real pain having to disable it and reboot every time
     I want to use the extra-hires mode.

                               Tom Haviland

--
	 					Thomas P. Haviland
USENET:	decvax!dartvax!uvm-gen!haviland 	University of Vermont

boykin@custom.UUCP (02/10/87)

In article <493@uvm-gen.UUCP>, haviland@uvm-gen.UUCP (Thomas Haviland) writes:
>Does anyone out there have a patch or something for FANSI so that
>it will allow an AT&T6300 to go into its 640x400 mode?  With FANSI
>installed if you try to go into this mode (INT10h with AL=40h)
>it apparently tries to go into the monochrome mode, which totally
>screws up the display (makes it look like a tv with a shot vertical
>hold).  FANSI is so excellent that I can't live without it now,
>but it is a real pain having to disable it and reboot every time
>I want to use the extra-hires mode.
>
>                                Tom Haviland

Firstly, 640x400 color is only available if you have the DEB (Display
Enhancement Board), if you don't, you can't do 640x400 color at all.
Secondly (now for the bad news!) FANSI-CONSOLE does not support this
mode.  From a conversation I had with them they are looking into the
possibility for the future, but there are no immediate plans to do so.

Joseph Boykin
Custom Software Systems
{frog, necntc}!custom!boykin

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (02/10/87)

Fansi console also ignores turning on/off the NUM-LOCK and CAP-LOCK
indicators on the keyboard.  A minor nuisance, which is indeed
acknowledged in the FANSI manual.  The FANSI manual gives suggested
option settings for the AT&T, but I think that only pertains to "ok
to write to vid memory in horizontal retrace time, and also do 16
bit writes to vid memroy".  I'd give you the settings, but my
manual is at work.  Unfortunately, I don't yet think there's any
way to provide support for the 640 * 400 graphics (that is
convenient!).

You might try using nansis.sys on your '6300.  I've seen it
floating around on some BBSs.  It is better, and it also works with
640 * 400 video.

  --Bill

psfales@ihlpl.UUCP (02/11/87)

 > Fansi console also ignores turning on/off the NUM-LOCK and CAP-LOCK
 > indicators on the keyboard.  A minor nuisance, which is indeed
 > acknowledged in the FANSI manual.  The FANSI manual gives suggested
 > option settings for the AT&T, but I think that only pertains to "ok
 > to write to vid memory in horizontal retrace time, and also do 16
 > bit writes to vid memroy".  I'd give you the settings, but my
 > manual is at work.  Unfortunately, I don't yet think there's any
 > way to provide support for the 640 * 400 graphics (that is
 > convenient!).

Apparently you are using an older version of Fansi console.  I am running
version 2.00 and am very pleased with the results.  The keyboard LEDs on
my 6300 work fine as does the 640x400 graphics.

I can't point to a specific source for the program except Hersey
Micro Consulting, but if anyone is seriously using Fansi, they should
consider paying for it.  Registration provides a thick manual in an IBM
style slipcase, technical support, and the latest version of the software.

Hersey Micro Consulting, Inc.
PO Box 8276
Ann Arbor, Michigan  48107
(313)994-3259

Disclaimer:  I have no connection with Hersey Micro Consulting other than
as a satisfied customer.

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpl!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

romwa@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Dornfeld) (02/18/87)

Has anybody else had any problems with FANSI and mks vi
(release 2.1d)?  My screen bounces all over the place when
scrolling (color graphics card (Tandy 1000)).  If there
is a fix please return via mail.

Mark T. Dornfeld
Royal Ontario Museum

utgpu!rom!mark         - or -      utgpu!romwa