[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Turbo troubles

rob@arcsun.UUCP (02/04/87)

Here is another question for the Turbo wizards out there:

Why is it that when I compile a program on an AT with a color monitor
then try to run it on another AT with a monochrome monitor the program
doesn't work? The reverse case also does not work.

Even a simple program like

program simple;
begin
   writeln('Here is a simple example');
end.

will hang a system with a different type of monitor than the one it
was compiled on. Is there some way to get around this? I am tired of
having to compile two versions of every program.

Thanks in advance,
Rob Aitken
{...ubc-vision | ...ihnp4!alberta}!calgary!arcsun!rob
    *fast*             *slow*

gervers@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (02/11/87)

>then try to run it on another AT with a monochrome monitor the program
>doesn't work? The reverse case also does not work.

Turbo Pascal has to know what video display it is talking to.  No way
around the recompiling problem.

gervers@gpu.unix      u of Toronto

No more, no more,  not another flame from fruit lovers.  Arrgh.

madd@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (02/15/87)

In article <163@arcsun.UUCP> rob@arcsun.UUCP (Rob Aitken) writes:
>Why is it that when I compile a program on an AT with a color monitor
>then try to run it on another AT with a monochrome monitor the program
>doesn't work? The reverse case also does not work.

Very simple.  There are three compiler modes that you could set when you
install the Turbo programs (with TINST).  They are:

	* Color
	* Monochrome

If you use multiple boards in the same machine, you might need to set
color or monochrome mode to suit.  For most uses, however, you want
default mode.  This means that Turbo checks to see what type you are
using and then uses that one.  This should fix your problem.

Note that changing the diplay page from 0 causes turbo to become confused.
This is almost never a problem.

>Rob Aitken

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
                   - Jim Frost * The Madd Hacker -
UUCP:  ..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!madd | ARPANET: madd@bucsb.bu.edu
CSNET: madd%bucsb@bu-cs            | BITNET:  cscc71c@bostonu
-------------------------------+---+------------------------------------
"Oh beer, oh beer." -- Me      |      [=(BEER) <- Bud the Beer (cheers!)

darren@ethos.UUCP (02/18/87)

In article <163@arcsun.UUCP> rob@arcsun.UUCP (Rob Aitken) writes:
>Why is it that when I compile a program on an AT with a color monitor
>then try to run it on another AT with a monochrome monitor the program
>doesn't work? The reverse case also does not work.
>
>Rob Aitken
I'm not sure of the exact cause of this, but it seems that the Turbo comiler
figures out a lot about the machine you are using and then compiles by those
specs.  The same case is true when trying to run Turbo programs developed on
"compatible" MS-DOS machines on a "true clone".  The screen goes crazy.  This
is odd because the same version/installation of Turbo used on the compatible
will run on the clone, but not the code generated.

-Darren
 //  Darren Friedlein,  ANSI-FX software     Phone: 919/596-7746  \\
((   Rt 4  Box 416, Durham, NC  27703               919/596-9492   ))
 \\            ...{burl,cbosgd,ihnp4,mcnc}!ethos!darren           //
     Zaphod Beeblebrox is now appearing in "No Sex Please, We're
     Amoeboids and Gatularians" at the Bruntos Vogon Star House.